Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It's not a Grouse

Old 08-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default It's not a Grouse

Buts its size is close enough to get dialed in on!

Im going to take this out later today at 30 and 40 yards to make sure my load patterns ok and if it does, I'll call it good until Sept 12th when grouse season opens. Actually, I have to check the regulations booklet to make sure what grouse season opens for sure.

Using equal powder/shot volume this time.

70gr Pyrodex Select and 1oz #7 1/2 shot.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heck MD, by the time you get that hammer cocked and the gun shouldered any sensible grouse will have put a tree between you and him!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

oh we hunt an area that has old timber cuts, they love that grassy stuff with some hiding spots in it.

I'll get a pic of the area here in a bit.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Use to have Patridge / Grouse as we Sconnies call thim in my back yard have been gone for about 10 years. Too many fox and coyotes
Old 08-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

This year, I lay out a smoke screen so my dad and brother have a harder time with their semi-autos LOL.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot a number of Ruffed Grouse with my T/C New Englander. But my ace in the hole was my black Labrador. When his tail started going in a big circle and he tensed up, I knew he had one in his sights so I would shoulder and cock the shotgun. Sometimes, before he'd flush (not always mind you) he'd look over his shoulder at me to check where I was. And as long as I could knock it down, he'd go find it. Sure miss that devil. I have not really grouse hunted seriously since he died.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to LOVE grouse hunting. We just don't have them here anymore. I'm lucky to see 1 or 2 in a whole season. I guess the coyote's have worked on em big time.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Banned

Time to take out some coyotes IMO! I know my hunting unit needs them thinned out. You'll be asleep and then you wake up in the dead of the night with your heart pounding and a dozen yotes calling back and forth.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Time to take out some coyotes IMO! I know my hunting unit needs them thinned out. You'll be asleep and then you wake up in the dead of the night with your heart pounding and a dozen yotes calling back and forth.
We shoot every one we can, but it just doesn't seem to help much.
Our game bird population has dwindled to basically almost non-existent. In the past 15yrs I have not seen any quail, and exactly 2 woodcock. I miss the days when a few of us could go walk some woods and we always came home with some game.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned

wow thats a shame when it gets that bad. Do they allow fur trapping in WV or is it pretty regulated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.