Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Minimum bore/bullet requirements >

Minimum bore/bullet requirements

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Do you feel there should be a minimum bore/bullet size for big game
Yes there should be a minimum
84.00%
Nope there shouldn't be.
16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Minimum bore/bullet requirements

Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

All the regulation in the world won't stop someone from thinking its ethical to take a 200 yard shot with a 58cal PRB.

Only common sense and a basic understanding of ballistics can do that.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Why do we need more Governmental regulations???

North Carolina's Regulations don't have any mention of a minimum caliber for either centerfires or muzzleloaders, let the hunter decide, keep the Government out of it...
hawkeye, you bring up an interesting point. The problem with your evaluation is the fact that people can be absolutely stupid! If it weren't for regulations in hunting, we wouldn't have whitetail to hunt! Let the hunter decide? Leave it up to a "LOT" of folks out there and they would be using .22 long rifle to hunt deer. Most all states with minimums have them set at REASONABLE limits. But what needs to be taken into account is the allowance for change in the ML'ers of today. A general issuance of diameter restrictions across the board really doesn't cut the mustard with a lot of today's newer breed of inlines. You have smokeless capable ML'ers out there pushing 250gr bullets 2600+fps and 180gr bullets in excess of 3000fps! MORE than enough energy to drop a whitetail or pretty much anything else on this continent. That link that GM put up on the first page leads to Swing Lock. One of their ML'ers is a smokeless capable 6.5mm. It's medium to max loads are more than capable of dropping a MOOSE! But there are states that wouldn't allow it's use simply because of a bore diameter restriction that is 30 or more years old. Do we need the regs? Of course because in general you will have the idiots out there trying to take whitetail with a BB gun if you allowed it. What needs to happen is taking the generalization out of the regs and get a bit more "firearm type" specific.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

But here is the controversy.

In my state you can legally use a 9mm for deer in ALL the seasons except archery. You can use any CF cartridge rifle during firearms season including 22 hornet.

During the "ML" season which is now open to CF handguns also, we have a 40cal minimum bore for muzzle loaders. This restriction also applies to using a ML during the firearms season.

Tell me which is more powerful, a White Rifle .367 300gr at 1500fps, 9x19 or 22 Hornet?

This is why they should not be setting the requirements.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-15-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
But here is the controversy.

In my state you can legally use a 9mm for deer in ALL the seasons except archery. You can use any CF cartridge rifle during firearms season including 22 hornet.

During the "ML" season which is now open to CF handguns also, we have a 40cal minimum bore for muzzle loaders. This restriction also applies to using a ML during the firearms season.

Tell me which is more powerful, a White Rifle .367 300gr at 1500fps, 9x19 or 22 Hornet?

This is why they should not be setting the requirements.
Yes they SHOULD be setting requirements but they need to learn the differences now incorporated into these newer more powerful ML'ers and factor that into their regulations thinking. As I stated previously, a lot of these regulations are 10-30 years old and haven't been seriously revisited to include all this new technology.

Your state is in serious need of an overhaul and a weeding out of idiots if your regulatory commission is allowing .22 hornet cartridge to be used on whitetail. That is beyond unethical and just plain old stupidity. So yes I guess I would have to agree that in your states case they SHOULDN'T be allowed to set any regulations whatsoever and should be removed from office.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

It gets worse. ANY centerfire pistol or rifle is allowed during the firearms season. Only restriction is expanding bullet and semi autos are restricted to 11 rounds total
Old 08-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who's the ring leader of the circus that your state calls a game commission? That's just flat out unethical period. Do they not give a rat's rear about their wildlife? Hopefully your hunters in your state have more ethics than your wildlife management leaders do!
Old 08-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yes they SHOULD be setting requirements but they need to learn the differences now incorporated into these newer more powerful ML'ers and factor that into their regulations thinking. As I stated previously, a lot of these regulations are 10-30 years old and haven't been seriously revisited to include all this new technology.

Your state is in serious need of an overhaul and a weeding out of idiots if your regulatory commission is allowing .22 hornet cartridge to be used on whitetail. That is beyond unethical and just plain old stupidity. So yes I guess I would have to agree that in your states case they SHOULDN'T be allowed to set any regulations whatsoever and should be removed from office.
I have shot about 10 Deer with a 22 hornet. I used to carry that gun doing Deer drives for other hunters. When Deer doubled back they got whacked when I was there lol. Pretty sure they are still legal in PA?? I believe all Centerfire rifles are. I think bullets are they key. To much emphasis is put on calibers and bullet weights instead of using a good bullet.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=nchawkeye;4212938]Why do we need more Governmental regulations???
quote]

Because there will always be idiots out there that will try to use a firearm with insufficient energy to kill the quarry they are after. Would you want someone to use a .32 cal muzzy with a 20 gr charge while hunting elk? I'd say you wouldn't if you had any respect for the animal.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idaho is a total cluster f&^k when it comes to this. They made a law that says you have to use a 45 or bigger for deer and antelope. Then they said 50 or bigger for everything else on muzzleloader hunts.
A 25 auto pistol is legal for elk but a 409 gr paper patched 45 bullet coming out at 1400+ is not legal for elk. A 177 grain PRB is legal for elk but a 409 gr comical is not.

I think they should make it 177 grain minimum for all game. That way it would be a little heavier for deer and antelope. It would allow 45 conicals and it would eliminate a 25 auto in a elk hunt.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think all states have some "stupid" laws. Stuff that just doesn't make any common sense. I'd be for rules on minimums, if they made sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.