Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Tale of Two Barrels >

A Tale of Two Barrels

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Tale of Two Barrels

Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Spike

Semi purty well summed it up as to where i am at right now. I dont see why a stainless barrel wouldnt shoot Eds 465g bullets but it remains to be seen yet in my rifle till i get the hammer reset to 1/2 cock problem figured out it was shooting fine with a lighter bullet and first of the 465 g it reset hammer and i didnt fire another round but will get back out to range in few days. Last
Old 08-07-2015, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lastoftheloaners
Semi purty well summed it up as to where i am at right now. I dont see why a stainless barrel wouldnt shoot Eds 465g bullets but it remains to be seen yet in my rifle till i get the hammer reset to 1/2 cock problem figured out it was shooting fine with a lighter bullet and first of the 465 g it reset hammer and i didnt fire another round but will get back out to range in few days. Last
It makes sense that the 465s would add pressure on the system not seen with lighter loads.

While far from an expert, replacing the spring appears to be job one.

FYI. I shoot Ed bullets from my 1/30 Knights with amazing accuracy.

70 grains of T7 3F does it for me.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry for your bullets being a little too snug. I size them with a Lee .452 sizing die which sizes them to .451.5. You could order a Lee .451 sizing die that should take care of that problem. I think they go for about $21.

Ed
Old 08-07-2015, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would be a simple and easy solution.

Given that he has only about 50 shots out of that barrel, I wonder if a good workout with JB Bore Paste would solve the problem.

Is there a difference in drag/friction between lead and blued steel vs. lead and stainless steel?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Sorry for your bullets being a little too snug. I size them with a Lee .452 sizing die which sizes them to .451.5. You could order a Lee .451 sizing die that should take care of that problem. I think they go for about $21.

Ed
Ed thanks, I have thought about that . I have sized your bullets already and wondered if i my gauge was correct because i got .450.5

I am sure you know and my calabers are as I suspect off .....

Last edited by lastoftheloaners; 08-07-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: thinking .451.5 but wrong so changed post
Old 08-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane

Is there a difference in drag/friction between lead and blued steel vs. lead and stainless steel?
i have found with hi-powers i had to keep a stainless barrel clean to get best results while a molly barrel would shoot a little dirty. so you may have something there.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Spike

I have a coil spring ordered off evil bay , said to be new old stock
Old 08-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lastoftheloaners
Ed thanks, I have thought about that . I have sized your bullets already and wondered if i my gauge was correct because i got .450.5

I am sure you know and my calabers are as I suspect off .....
450.5 sounds right for the 451 sizing die as that is what mine sized them at the time. However, I felt they were too loose for my .451 and went with the .452 sizing die. In speaking to Doc White he feels you will obtain better accuracy and your bullets won't move off the charge while walking around hunting if they are slightly oversized.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Spike

Ed , Semi, and everyone I took a .490 round ball and slugged this Gm 45 cal stainless barrel with my gage it read .
Ed's bullet @ .450.5 the slug @ .445 in the grove and .455 between the grove on the slug.

Semi have you slugged your barrel just wondering if a blue barrel is cut the same ?

what is every ones thoughts ? do this sound ok to y'all or not

Last

Last edited by lastoftheloaners; 08-07-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Spike

got the new coil spring in mail today , it was advertised as new old stock but it is lot heavier spring than what tc coil springs are in renegades or new englanders the new one gages .049 and tc springs are bout .038 nuff difference its easy to see looking at them you guys that have replaced springs did you put in a heaver coil spring than what was in it. wondering before i take my lock apart. thanks Last

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.