Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
200 Grain Lehigh XP >

200 Grain Lehigh XP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 Grain Lehigh XP

Old 07-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah they show enough to see the difference in the width of the flute from the other 2. I believe the performance of the 200 grain would be vastly improved out of a 1:20 twist. If it will shoot accurately out of a 1:20 the RPM's would be increased significantly creating a much greater hydraulic affect.
I shoot them out of a 1/20 just fine... This is only a 70 yard target but it does give you an ideal of accurate they can be.

Thing is, if they are stabilized how many revolutions would they reall be turning passing through 36" of the target. Somebody computed that on another one of my threads and the number of turns is very few. Because of that I tend to agree with Ron's assessment. Not thinking it is revolutions but more the ability to collect fluids and then toss them out with force. Sorta maybe like a squirt gun to a garden hose.

I also believe the 40x200 will be a very effective game bullet.

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhh Ron, the distance traveled isn't the point. It's the actual RPM's of the bullet that operate the hydraulic force generated by the flutes. A 1:20 twist would give that bullet a significant increase in RPM's. It would be MANY more times than just 1 1/4 turn. That aint how it works. Here's how to come up with RPM's: MV x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet RPM. Figure in your Muzzle Velocity (I have no clue what it was) for both twist rates and you will see a HUGE difference.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, take your own equation, and one can figure the ratio of the rpm. It turns out to be 28/20, which is 1.4. That is indeed larger than 1.25. The 20 twist bullet' RPM is 1.4 times faster than the 28 twist bullet. Do you consider 1.4 many times larger than 1.25?

The 1.25 number was just a simplistic round off number when i compared 4 jugs to 5 jugs, which obviously isn't exact. So, now i am forced to be more exact. The bullet from the 28 twist needs to travel 1.4, not 1.25 times further, before it makes a complete revolution, to be exact.

Whether shot from a 1:20 barrel, or a 1:28 barrel, a bullet will only spin about once whilst inside a deer' chest. The bullet turns once every 20, or 28 inches it travels, and that is that; no getting around that.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

While your external ballistics calculation is "close enough" you are mistaken in the terminal ballistics Ron. Upon impact, that bullets forward momentum is greatly reduced while the rotational speed is reduced significantly less. Here's a ballistics gel test of another type bullet. It shows what I mean. watch closely and you will see the turns in the gel clearly.

And by the way DAAAANNNNNGGGGG that little RIP bullet is a NASTY little critter too for a PD bullet!!

Last edited by super_hunt54; 07-26-2015 at 05:33 PM.