Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

260 grain PT Gold

Old 07-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm trying to find some PT Gold bullets taken from game. I'm sure they don't lose that much weight.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the Lehigh weigh 164.4g, the other 162.8g. Don't know which is which. One of them is the only bullet that worked in the 50g powder test; the other is from the 80g powder test.

The Nosler weighs 247.4g.

One thing one can see in the photo of the PT Gold bullet, is that it lost some of the copper plate.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
See I'm the opposite I guess. To me, losing 100gr is a pretty big deal... Ron has tested plenty of bullets that performed much better imo. Of course, its not a deer... but apples to apples here in the testing.

Ron, what do you think?
All of these bullets tested seem to be good bullets. This bullet would be the first bullet i would eliminate, when trying to choose the one bullet i would go hunting with. However, it certainly should kill deer without a problem.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
All of these bullets tested seem to be good bullets. This bullet would be the first bullet i would eliminate, when trying to choose the one bullet i would go hunting with. However, it certainly should kill deer without a problem.
I feel the same way.
Nice work Ron, looks like you are having fun and certainly adding some valuable info for everyone to ponder!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Recovered bullet

Muley send me your email address at [email protected] and I'll send you a picture of a 300gr PT Gold I recovered from an Aoudad ram I killed last yr. I used Hornady's 300 gr SST's for 3 years and decided to make the change because of inconsistent bullet performance with the SST. We get to take a lot of WT's and exotics on our low fence lease in west Texas. I hunt all year with my 2 Knights, which have Lehign bare primer breech plugs. I use 110 grs BH 209, 300 gr PT Gold bullets, black crush rib sabots and Winchester 209 regular primers. That combo took a 34" Aoudad ram, a 19 pt WT buck, a WT cull buck, 2 WT does and a Fallow and Axis doe last year. All one shot kills and only 2 animals ran over 10 yds. Internal damage was significant. The bullet that killed the big WT hit history right front shoulder and exited the right flank and destroyed everything in its path. That convinced me it was the right decision.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

No picture needed. Your post was enough.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have no qualms about using that PT bullet this fall Muley.

When I test five of my new bullets on a pine tree trunk in late October, I'll know more about which ones I hunt with. The two lead Precisions are a virtual lock to pass the test. Only question marks are my 250 Deep Curls, 200 gr. SSTs and Barnes copper XPBs. Hoping to find the core of that XPB in the soft pine tree-trunk. Not expecting the peels to accompany it.

What's odd about that test is noting that the best mushroom I ever saw enbedded in a pine tree trunk, came from a 270 gr. Buffalo Ballet conical last winter. It's just not a bullet I trust to fly accurately, beyond 100 yards. So unless I return to under 75 yards swamp hunting someday, I won't consider the Ballet for hunting anymore.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-26-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Banned

I love the 260gr PT Gold. Its a great solid hitting bullet. It actually acts like the lehigh where the pedals sheer off and leave you with a short bullet shank that continues to punch its way through. Its not a bonded bullet, just an electro plating to prevent lead build up when used in pistols, but still a great bullet with up to 110gr BH209. I always use the most accurate load, not the most powder.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its not a bonded bullet, just an electro plating to prevent lead build up when used in pistols
I had no idea people were using the PT Golds in CF pistols. I would love to see a link and look at their results.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/electroplating.html
I appears they use a similar process as Speer which is considered a bonded bullet. Electro plating is basically bonding two metals together. Speer just uses a much thicker plating on the DeepCurls.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-04-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Banned

its not a bonded jacket is what I am saying, its more like a candy coating on a powerbelt, very thin, just to prevent build up. Rainer makes these bullets so yes, pistols do shoot them. Just a different name for harvester.