Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh 40x215 in a Slow Twist - NOT SO GOOD Today >

Lehigh 40x215 in a Slow Twist - NOT SO GOOD Today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh 40x215 in a Slow Twist - NOT SO GOOD Today

Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lehigh 40x215 in a Slow Twist - NOT SO GOOD Today

Gosh I hate being wrong! but after todays testing and the test shooting Grouse did yesterday - I am backing off my hopes that this single bullet could be what I would have called a 'Universal Bullet for all" Shooting this bullet in a SLOW TWIST is not going to be as good as shooting it in a FAST TWIST barrel.

This morning I ran to the farm and posted a target up at 180 yards. The Garbanzo Beans were just to tall and at 200 they obscured the target.

I was shooting the same 45 Knight DISC Extreme and I also took my 50 Ultra-Lite as another testing tool. I took 5 shoots on target with the 45 and two with the Ultra-Lite. And again I was shooting 110 gr. of T7-2f. The grouping certainly were not the best and at 180 yards I was definitely showing some yawing was occurring.

There are a couple of possible problems, other than the twist rate. In the 1-30 that bullet will need every bit of twist it can get. It needs to make every turn. In that thought - if the bullet slips in the sabot at all or skips some lands going up the barrel it will not get the rotation it needs. Remember mathematics already says it con not be shot from a slow twist, and if there is any slippage at all there is no chance. The MMP sabot seems to fit the bullet a little tighter than does the Harvester and the MMP seems a little tighter going down the barrel. Then I am not helping my cause with the barrel heat that is existing.

Here is the target as shot.

The first group was fired one shot right after the next. The second group of two were shot with some cooling time between shots. Then I switched to the 50 Ultra-Lite using the same 110 grain load and a MMP 40x50 Blue sabot. Even on a cool barrel that loader easier than I wanted it to, but I was loaded so I shot it and then decided one more shot just for the heck of it. I can not say I was pleased with any of the shots or the groups but it was something I felt I needed to know.

When I walked back out to the target and looked at the holes I felt there was some yawing showing on all of the paper hole. Removing the target from the plywood verified that thought. Then as a better indication of what was happening I plugged some bullets in the holes and it became really obvious in most of the wholes... All of this a created another "I wonder" I wonder what is drooping the nose of the bullet or the tail of the bullet when it hits the target.

Upping the charge to my normal 120 grain load or even higher would probably fix the problem - but even then I would be reluctant to use the slow twist

This is a good example of what I was seeing and it was one of the more dramatic holes.

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-09-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Velocity could fix it in my case, I just wouldn't trust it. Ill use the 1/20 Super Disc for now. You did have my hopes up cause I love the Disc Elite.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Velocity could fix it in my case, I just wouldn't trust it. Ill use the 1/20 Super Disc for now. You did have my hopes up cause I love the Disc Elite.
Darn Tom! I had my hopes up also - what a coupe that could have been if it would shoot great across several platforms.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm certainly more of a big and slow fan than a small and fast, but these experiments have certainly been fun to read/watch so thank you for posting them.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I'm certainly more of a big and slow fan than a small and fast, but these experiments have certainly been fun to read/watch so thank you for posting them.
Thanks for posting this information... while I didn't get the big expectations I wanted - the shooting answered my questions. And hopefully someone other than myself might have been wondering also.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree good info.

But they shot dang good out of your other gun... anomaly?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I agree good info.

But they shot dang good out of your other gun... anomaly?
This was the same rife - only the distance changed. They were really good and grouped great @ 100 but moving to 180 yds. multiplied the errors.

I really wanted it to work and really it is probably sheer luck they worked as well as they did for me and even SShooter. They were were not good at all for the third shooter.

I THINK - if I were willing to increase the powder load even to my normal hunting load or slightly higher I would get the yawing out but that really doesn't help the regular person that wants to pick up a bullet and shoot it.

And we must remember - Lehigh has said along you needed a fast twist rifle.

It really was interesting to work my way through this testing.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

very interesting results. That will make things interesting.