Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250g GMX--Jug

Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 250g GMX--Jug

This afternoon it was the 250g GMX bullet and sabot.

The bullet is just so barely visible at the bottom of the jug in the last photo. Kinda interesting it was the last jug standing that held the bullet. The jug has an entrance hole, and a hole on the back side where the bullet hit, and fell. This is the fourth jug. The load was 50g Blackhorn, primer was W209, and the range was 25 yard.

VIDEO

Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could be that has a higher minimum velocity. Did it hit off center?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

The GMX isn't that a pointed bullet? Hornady makes it, right? What diameter was it? And if you had to guess, what was the velocity? That thing looks like it did a good job.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, this is just a fairly well educated guess here but I believe the water jug tests on these "X Series" bullets will be a little faulty. Reason being is the hollow cavity. After opening, that hollow cavity will function as a "brake" in fluid dynamics. When it hits an animal, I'd have to imagine that cavity will fill up with material before it really hit "fluidic space" allowing greater penetration with those razor sharp petals. With a pure water test such as this that cavity will fill with water and then you have the surface tension of not only the target water but the surface tension of the water contained in the cavity.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 250g XTP on the left.

A different view.

Recall the XTP penetrated 3 jugs; the GMX/MonoFlex penetrated 4 jugs.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The GMX isn't that a pointed bullet? Hornady makes it, right? What diameter was it? And if you had to guess, what was the velocity? That thing looks like it did a good job.
Dave,

Here is a photo of the box the bullet came in.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Could be that has a higher minimum velocity. Did it hit off center?
The holes through all 4 jugs were quite near center.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

Recall the XTP penetrated 3 jugs; the GMX/MonoFlex penetrated 4 jugs.
My point was, I think the GMX would actually surprise most folks in the fact that it would actually penetrate BETTER than a water test would actually show.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
My point was, I think the GMX would actually surprise most folks in the fact that it would actually penetrate BETTER than a water test would actually show.
You are correct, I have been using the Monoflex/GMX, for a few years and they do a great job, The exit hole has been the size of a golf ball on deer from 50 yards out to 210 yards, all pass thru, I have used the 452's and the 458, both in 250 gr bullets.
Dave
Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I never seem them in a store near me. But that's no shocker. I will have to get some of them. Do they come in weights other then 250? If they have a 300 that might be interesting to shoot. Also, how do they do when you push them harder? They don't splatter do they? Thanks for that test and information. They really have my interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.