Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just a cool Picture >

Just a cool Picture

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just a cool Picture

Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought they were bigger?
Its a baby Muley...
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious how you like the Cabela's cameras Sabotloader. I've contemplated several times purchasing one but have not done so at this time.

Back on topic, looking forward to elk season. I should draw a CO ML Bull Tag as well as a ML buck tag. Bring on September!
I do not have enough experience with trail cameras to be a reliable source of information. We have four cameras out and of the four the pictures of this Cabelas are usually the best.

I have fond that I think the camera is to sensitive, I have it set on the lowest response I can and yet still get a lot of pics with nothing moving but clouds, shadows, or slightly moving brush branches

Here is another one

Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

and yet still get a lot of pics with nothing moving but clouds, shadows, or slightly moving brush branches
I get a fair number of blanks also. Always figured it was something like a bird flying past the camera.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader

A couple of weeks ago while hiking up hill, i stopped for a breather. Taking my time i studied the contour lines on the GPS to try and decide how i was going to navigate back to the truck, without retracing my steps, and without having to struggle with cliffs. Of a sudden two bulls much the same as the two in the photo appeared just above me on the same trail walking directly toward me. They were a tad less grown than those two in the photo, but both were definite branch antlered bulls, as are those bulls. Too bad i was standing right out in the open, other wise they would have passed near close enough to touch; the breeze was just right.

When the lead saw me, he was maybe 15 yard away, and he stopped. I was able to get my rifle off my shoulder, and count coup on him about 3 times, before he bolted away. He stopped about 40 yard away, and studied me some more. Some more i counted coup on him with my rifle. When the wind shifted they ran up over the ridge, and i never saw them again.

Walking up that little drainage isn't something i planned to do when i left the truck, it just happened.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
A couple of weeks ago while hiking up hill, i stopped for a breather. Taking my time i studied the contour lines on the GPS to try and decide how i was going to navigate back to the truck, without retracing my steps, and without having to struggle with cliffs. Of a sudden two bulls much the same as the two in the photo appeared just above me on the same trail walking directly toward me. They were a tad less grown than those two in the photo, but both were definite branch antlered bulls, as are those bulls. Too bad i was standing right out in the open, other wise they would have passed near close enough to touch; the breeze was just right.

When the lead saw me, he was maybe 15 yard away, and he stopped. I was able to get my rifle off my shoulder, and count coup on him about 3 times, before he bolted away. He stopped about 40 yard away, and studied me some more. Some more i counted coup on him with my rifle. When the wind shifted they ran up over the ridge, and i never saw them again.

Walking up that little drainage isn't something i planned to do when i left the truck, it just happened.
So often especially for myself that is the way it happens... my dad use to say all the time elk are where you find them.

Here is another shot of some a couple days later

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's that bull doing with it's nose in the air, and it's leg up off the ground?

Not a pine tree in sight, as far as i can tell; dampish area 'eh, or perhaps that is the nature of the forests around there? Seems like there should be some Lodgepole in the vicinity, but no Ponderosa.

Is that tree without needles to the right, a live larch? Maybe just dead fir?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

What's that bull doing with it's nose in the air, and it's leg up off the ground?
I think there just might be a little bit of light hearted sparring going on.

Not a pine tree in sight, as far as i can tell; dampish area 'eh,
I think that point might be a natural mineral lick for them - other than that there is no real reason for them to hang out there so much.

or perhaps that is the nature of the forests around there? Seems like there should be some Lodgepole in the vicinity, but no Ponderosa.
This area was logged by Potlatch probably 6-10 years ago and it is recovering. No lodgepole if we can help it - it is considered a weed here but we do use it in areas that nothing else will grow in then underplant it when the LP is established. Ponderosa will grow well here but the timber companies want the more valued species of trees - Doug Fir, Larch, and White Pine.

Is that tree without needles to the right, a live larch? Maybe just dead fir?
Just a snag left over - dead fir. The small one on the right edge of the picture is a live Larch without needles yet.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The small one on the right edge of the picture is a live Larch without needles yet.
Yes, that is the one i meant.

The forest there is reminiscent of the forest around Missoula. It has been years since i last saw a Larch. They seem to be a West Slope specie. Larch aren't found around Great Falls, which is on the East side of the Divide. Lots of Fir there though.

Here, there are mostly Ponderosa, Black Hills Spruce, and Oak, with patches of Aspen. Don't recall ever seeing a Doug Fir.

Elk are everywhere.... but only where you find them....
Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Elk are everywhere.... but only where you find them....
I think they're where you don't find them too.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I think they're where you don't find them too.
More often than not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.