Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Traditional day

Old 06-01-2015, 10:08 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default A Traditional day

The wife was gone and so there wasn't anybody around to tell me what all I needed to do , so I figured I might as well go shoot. I went the traditional route

A Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 cal. 1:65 twist . I figured I would try 90 gr 3 f triple 7 , Remington caps, and 530 round ball with .018 patch.

First couple of shots were high and barely nicked the top of the target. I lowered the sight. that is not an easy task. I hate the sights on it. then it was better but a little to far to the right.

Luckily the rear sight has a screw and you can loosen that and drift the rear sight a little. So I did that which gave me the hole you see on the left. The sights were very blurry.

Last time I shot this ,it was dead accurate so rather than continue to mess around , since the sights were so blurry with my bad vision I decided to wait til I put a peep on the rear and a globe sight on the front. I have them but never got around to getting them on. Now my vision is such that it is a definite need if I want to shoot this gun anymore.

The best I managed to do was a 2 inch group at 50 yards, whereas in the past it would shoot cloverleafs at 100. actually it probably still will but I can't. so on the next big adventure

practicing shooting with the sling using the no pulse hold.

Question is , what should I try it with . Hmmm.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a really nice lookin ML
Old 06-01-2015, 11:13 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Thanks , too bad my eyes are getting old

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Thanks , too bad my eyes are getting old
It really is a good looking sidehammer ML... Awesome!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Careful there Sharpshooter, "no pulse" is not anything to look forward to.

Just for grins, try using something like Elmer's glue to attach a 3/8" washer to the rear sight to make temporary forward peep, and see how that works for you. Use a large target and don't worry about placement on the target. Just see what kind of groups you get. If that works it wouldn't be difficult to permanently modify the rear sight to a big hole peep.

I've always found it difficult to get good groups with hefty charges of T7, and usually default to RS or GOEX. Is T7 what you were using in prior shots with the gun?

Last edited by Semisane; 06-01-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a gorgeous stock! My Pedersoli doesn't like 777 at all, Goex has always been the most accurate out of it. I will certainly shoot better than I can, that's for certain.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Triple 7 is what i used before in it and got cloverleaf groups . I think the blurry sights were the real problem. I have a creedmore rear and tunnel front sight but never got them installed . If i want to ever shoot this gun again i am going to have to go that route it looks like .

Old 06-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You aint alone Sharpshooter. I haven't been able to shoot open site at any real distance for 15 or so years. Hated it but I had to put that infernal devils glass on all my hunting rigs. Or limit myself to 50 yards or closer. I even have a magnifier on my Bow sites!
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Trade you for an ultra lite
You would look good traipsing through the woods with it slung over your shoulder

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 06-01-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Trade you for an ultra lite
You would look good traipsing through the woods with it slung over your shoulder
Lol, I'm sure you would!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.