Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning patches?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning patches?

Cleaning my Elite the other day, I realized I'm down to about a dozen patches left.

I actually haven't bought patches in a while, just been using what I've had which was a mix match of sizes & styles - stuff I'd picked up here and there over the years. Seems like they used to sell bulk bags at walmart, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

Not sure what size I prefer, or if I prefer round or square. Seems like to me about 2.5" is a good overall size that will cover .45-.54 just fine. I think I prefer round, but honestly I'm not sure it matters or makes any difference to me. What do you guys prefer?

Besides cutting my own, anyone have a suggestion on where to get some good (relatively inexpensive) cleaning patches in bulk?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

These work in my rifles, which are mostly 50 caliber, but there is one 45.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go through a lot of patches..................

I buy locally the Pro-Shot patches. 500 count - 2 1/2" round. They are 100% cotton flannel finished on both sides.
They cost me $14.99 for the 500 count bag.

Edit: I have no problems with them hanging up in my brake while shooting..... a good thing
Old 05-31-2015, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Besides cutting my own, anyone have a suggestion on where to get some good (relatively inexpensive) cleaning patches in bulk?

Pre-cut patches are expensive. MaoMart and Academy sell cotton remnants from a company called Southern Bloomers (they make industrial strength underwear for female prison inmates). Most the remnants are good size and will make 2-4 muzzleloader cleaning patches.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I go through a lot of patches..................

I buy locally the Pro-Shot patches. 500 count - 2 1/2" round. They are 100% cotton flannel finished on both sides.
They cost me $14.99 for the 500 count bag.
^THIS^

However, I feel the 2-1/2 is just a-tad too small for 54-cal. For that caliber, I once was married to the 3" squares.
Speaking in past tense there, for I no longer own 54s and 58s.

But first I'm waiting to see a manufacturer offer those two calibers in an inline.... at an affordable price. But that's right after they make-me a 45 caliber 1:66 twist in an inline.

I do have some odd tastes / odd demands / odd wish-lists, in muzzleloaders.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 05-31-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

$20 for 1000.

http://www.rydoncorp.com/inc/sdetail...ackage/162/203
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

$20 for 1000.
Plus how much for S&H?

I'm frugal (OK, call me cheap). For $2 I get a cotton flannel sheet from any of several thrift stores (Goodwill/Salvation Army/Red White and Blue) and easily cut out a thousand patches while watching TV. Square works every bit as well a round.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I had bought up several bags of the walmart patches, but now I just recycle my old underware...washed of course! As long as I'm using them don't anticipate running out of patches.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Plus how much for S&H?

I'm frugal (OK, call me cheap). For $2 I get a cotton flannel sheet from any of several thrift stores (Goodwill/Salvation Army/Red White and Blue) and easily cut out a thousand patches while watching TV. Square works every bit as well a round.
$7 for shipping Mr. Cheap.

I can get the ones BarnesAddict mentioned shipped free via Amazon Prime. They are very high quality patches and I've been using them for years from Dunham Sporting Goods, here in the Metro Detroit Region. But lately, Dunham by me only sells them in 200 pks.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
$7 for shipping Mr. Cheap.

I can get the ones BarnesAddict mentioned shipped free via Amazon Prime. They are very high quality patches and I've been using them for years from Dunham Sporting Goods, here in the Metro Detroit Region. But lately, Dunham by me only sells them in 200 pks.
I pick them up at Jay's, normally when I'm there for something else.

These Pro Shot patches are great patches like you said, "high quality". Our Dunham's doesn't carry them....

Amazon Amazon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.