Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
ml powder coated bullets >

ml powder coated bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ml powder coated bullets

Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ml powder coated bullets

i started some basic testing more then an year ago on this subject. trying to increase an diameter of an bullet with out paper patching. don't get me wrong paper patching is proven but nothing wrong with trying something new. yes I would but I little bit of lube just to soften foul.

there are two methods I could use
1: the gun-spray and cure, add layers if need .003 to .004 added per layer.

2: fluid bedding- heat the bullet up place it in powder being aerated. .04 added in one shot.

out of two methods I like the gun best. more controllable.

found some old notes on had. 7bhn is the max. hardness allowed for these to work. found where I did a push thru test on my white that worked.

hoping to get out next wed. and do some shot test.

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize

also playing with some graphite coated bullets. 9mm lee 356-125 second coat lee alox and graphite

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

First thing I thought of was the heat of the black/T7/pyrodex powder leaving the powder coating inside your bore. Have you checked on that possibility?

Last edited by toytruck; 04-03-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

have look to look up heat generated by the ignition. I have shoot powder coated bullets out of a 40sw and 9mm, I have had some of the powder coat come out of the bore when cleaning but looked like paint chips. you are also talking about center fire pistols and 8 to 15 rounds, less time between shots.

could not find all the note I took on the research I did on ignition temps. gotta do it over again. ugh