Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Triumph Bone Collector Problem >

Thompson Center Triumph Bone Collector Problem

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Triumph Bone Collector Problem

Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default Thompson Center Triumph Bone Collector Problem

Hey guys, I'm shooting a T/c Bone collector with Barnes t ez 250 grain and harvester crush rib sabots(black), 100 grain of Pyrodex pellets and a Leupold ultimate slam scope.I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing sighted in. At 50 yards I'm dead center (3 shots) at 100 yards I'm all over the place high, low, left, right, everywhere! And I'm not talking by 2 or 3 inches I'm talking 6 or more! I'm using a lead sled so I know it's not me. Any suggestions what is going on? Scope and mounts are tight.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohiohunter76
Hey guys, I'm shooting a T/c Bone collector with Barnes t ez 250 grain and harvester crush rib sabots(black), 100 grain of Pyrodex pellets and a Leupold ultimate slam scope.I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing sighted in. At 50 yards I'm dead center (3 shots) at 100 yards I'm all over the place high, low, left, right, everywhere! And I'm not talking by 2 or 3 inches I'm talking 6 or more! I'm using a lead sled so I know it's not me. Any suggestions what is going on? Scope and mounts are tight.
Just wondering, but why are you using the crush rib sabots and not the supplied sabots? This could be part of your problem. Do you have a loading problem with the supplied sabots? If the supplied sabots load easy, have you tried the 250gr TMZ bullet, which should be a tighter fit? How old are your pellets? Have the pellets been exposed to moisture?

Many shooters have moved completely away from pyrodex in T/C rifles and instead are shooting BH209, a much better propellant.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Spike

I'm kinda new to muzzleloading and I was told that the supplied sabots probably wouldn't group as well as the crush rib would. I was thinking about switching to BH209
Old 03-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Spike

The pellets are brand new just opened them today, and I've only tried the T EZ
Old 03-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm kinda new to muzzleloading and I was told that the supplied sabots probably wouldn't group as well as the crush rib would. I was thinking about switching to BH209
I've shot T/C rifles for a long time and in just about all cases, the supplied sabots work just fine when using the TMZ bullets. Some barrels may be slightly tighter and that's when shooters may switch over to the TEZ bullet and sabot. The TEZ should load with no problem in your rifle and most likely the TMZ will too. You need some loading force.

What can happen........ if you have a sabot that may be too loose, the bullet and sabot spin at different rates or, the bullet may hardly spin at all. The sabot spins with the rifling, yet the bullet doesn't spin equally with the sabot, and that will certainly create a loss in your groups the further the distance. Bullets must be stabilized, which is what will give you the better groups. If the bullet is losing stabilization, you'll experience exactly what you're mentioning. In some instances, some target shooters will actually knurl bullets, which causes the bullet to grip inside the sabot, giving it stability.

Your TC will shoot BH209 very well with no modifications necessary. Learn about BH209 BEFORE you start shooting it. It has a MAXIMUM CHARGE OF 120GRS VOLUME AND NOT 150 as with other propellants. Most shooters find that 105 to 110grs by volume is the perfect charge in most rifles and manufacturers. http://www.blackhorn209.com/

I have a feeling, that if everything is correct with your rifle and scope, you're shooting it from a sled with proper shooting techniques, its most likely your sabot. Try shooting your bullets with the supplied sabots next round.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine will do the same thing with crush -rib sabots I use the short black Harvester.
What I believe is that when the bullet is not gripped tight enough it does not spin fast enough and you get the same results as a smooth bore.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Spike

Lemoyne, do you shoot Barnes t ez?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

I strongly suspect a loose sabot. Crushed Ribs are a great solution for a tight barrel and TC's do have a reputation for tight barrels. However, something is not right.

Are you swabbing between shots?

How much loading pressure do you have? You should have to give it a good push on a clean barrel.

Finally, clean that Pyro well. It shoots fine but is very corrosive and must be meticulously cleaned.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lemoyne, do you shoot Barnes t ez?
No I tried them and they shot well but I prefer Shock Waves for target and deer in both the Triumph and the Endeavor and shoot Lehigh for anything larger and Boar.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Spike

Yep,swabbing between shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.