Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
At 400 Yard--300g XTP >

At 400 Yard--300g XTP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

At 400 Yard--300g XTP

Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default At 400 Yard--300g XTP

Here is the VIDEO from this morning.

That first photo shows the smoke from the rifle about 0.1 second after ignition. Had a wind meter with today. Wind started at about 7 mi/hr. Adjusted the windage 9moa into the wind, and the first shot hit about 2' into the wind. Read the wind again, and it was now about 4 mi/hr. Adjusted the windage 4 moa into the wind, and hit about 6" from target. Shot again, and hit a way into a lesser wind. Turned the windage dial to zero, and then hit about a foot down wind. Loaded the rifle, held the crosshair about 1' into the wind, and smucked the pop can. The elevation dial was up 33 moa. The last photo is taken about 1/6 second after impact. Note the plume of pop.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shoot'n !
Old 03-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Wait, you hit a pop can at 400 yards? On the 3rd try?

Amazing!!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Do you have a link to your set up? Gun, scope, etc? I'm sure it's been covered. If I'm not mistaken, it's a Leo with some sort of a custom turret.

That's pretty cool shooting on that far.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

A pop can at 400 yards with a muzzleloader! Pretty cool. I bet there'd be more people calling you a liar than believed you. Way to go. What's next? Slingshots?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing a person could do to verify the range is pause the video, then advance the frames using the arrow key. One can count frames from when the first puff of smoke appears at the rifle, till impact. There are 32 frames. The camera films at 30 frames/second. The bullet is in the air for over a second; indicating the range is indeed 400 yard.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Wait, you hit a pop can at 400 yards? On the 3rd try?....
No, no, wasn't it the fourth shot? Plus all the other shots; all the other misses, on all the other days?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Do you have a link to your set up? Gun, scope, etc? I'm sure it's been covered. If I'm not mistaken, it's a Leo with some sort of a custom turret...
Nothing fancy... the rifle is a scarcely used Optima V2 with Western Powders breech plug. The mount came with the rifle, and had to be shimmed at the rear, to allow enough turns up of the elevation dial.

The scope is a 4X Leupold, that i sent to their custom shop for them to install the CDS dial. It was kinda hard to see the pop can at first, but i was able to verify it, by using a 10 power binocular. Once i saw the can with the binocular, i knew more what to look for, so then it was easy to sight it with the cross hair.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I bet there'd be more people calling you a liar than believed you. s?
. Yup which is why I don't post much on my long range shooting endeavors

Old 03-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt its 400yds, as your calculations match perfectly. Fun as heck isn't it?

Your videos are priceless Ron and they really give shooters a great example of the distances muzzleloaders are capable of shooting accurately.

I'm very fortunate that I have a Sportsman's Club, which has a 600 yard range so close. I normally shoot the range on weekdays, when most are working (retirement has its advantages). However sometimes there may be 3 or 4 others shooting when I get there. In most cases when you drive up, they'll go cold and tell you to go hang your targets. I drive down to 400yds and hang a couple targets and drive back. The range will go hot again and I'll just start setting up the rifle rest and getting things ready. Of course everyone sneaks a peak at everyone else's rifles, if only briefly. However.......... the hairy eyebrows and much more than a casual glance starts, when I start loading the muzzleloader. Actually you can almost hear their thoughts, which is always something like, 'That guy is nuts to think he can shoot a muzzleloader that far' or..... 'That guy shouldn't be able to legally own a firearm, let alone a muzzleloader.' Cracks me up.

Once you get the rifle settled in the rest and are ready to take the shot, the line suddenly becomes quieter. I know without even looking what's happening..... they're watching and/or are now looking through their spotting scopes at my targets and you know that inside, they're ready to start laughing.

Things suddenly start to change after the muzz goes off and the smoke clears. Sometimes they'll rush over before I can load, asking what the heck, "With a muzzleloader?" Other times they'll let me fire a group, then it gets really crowded around my bench.

With the right rifle, a good load, some understanding of the wind, most are surprised just how accurate a muzzleloader can be a truly long range.

I pulled this target after shooting. The three guys that were there and watched me shoot it, probably still can't believe what they had just seen.

Not trying to hijack your post Ron. Just an attempt to show others that shooting to 400yds with a muzzleloader can be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.