Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Leupold UltimateSlam and Blackhorn powder >

Leupold UltimateSlam and Blackhorn powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold UltimateSlam and Blackhorn powder

Old 02-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Leupold UltimateSlam and Blackhorn powder

Hi all,

Been I sing pyrodex pellets with my inline for years and dealt with the mess etc. This last season I bought a CVA Optima V2 pistol and shot blackhorn out of it and absolutely was amazed at how clean and easy the powder was. I am sold on it and now want to shoot it out of my inline. I'm due for an upgrade and plan on buying the new CVA Accura Long Range when it's released in a month or two. I'm debating between the Leupold ultimate slam and a regular VX-1. From what I understand with the ultimate slam, you adjust a knob to reflect how many pellets you are using? I'm not sure if I understood this correctly and if so, how would it work with loose powder?
I really don't need the ultimate slam features as only a few of my stands would have a 200yd shot, most of my shots are 75-100yd but wouldn't mind getting it just to play with. If loose powder would be an issue and headache, I have no prob getting the VX-1 and sighting in at 100 and know I'm good for 95% of my shots.

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you would like this scope better then the Leupold for your ML.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/329...-reticle-matte
Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I threw a Redfield Revenge on one of my rifles. Very nice clarity, excellent controls, just a nice nice scope. I have no experience with that Leupold you mentioned.

I know a lot of people say we don't need all that magnification. But there are times when out in the woods, up in a tree or in a blind I want to check something "I think I see" and that is where the extra magnification comes in real handy.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Spike

i believe this is how that scope works. you use your magnification to 'glass' what you want but turn the mag knob back to your preset load setting and that sets your reticle for your shot for your known distance. way too much work for this hunter. im putting the muzzleloader vx-1 on my new optima v2.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have an Ultimate Slam on my V2 and I really like the clarity. I haven't played with the reticles yet to see how accurate they are.
But like Grouse stated the Revenge should also be a nice scope. Redfield was bought out by Leupold a few years ago and they go through the same rigorous testing.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default Leupold

I have both the Leupold Ultimate Slam and the Revenge and they are both great scopes. With the Leupold if you site your rifle in with your fifty yard target, you need to put the top of the circle as your point of aim at fifty. That will make the center of your cross hair line up at a hundred. Then the bottom of the circle will come back in at about 150 yards. This works for me with my setup. There is so many variations that a book could be written. The weight of the bullets the amount of powder the brand of powder can all change this. Get yourself a chrono and do some testing. Good luck
Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago I thought about getting an ultimate slam. I liked the idea, seemed to make sense. When I looked through one, I decided against it. It was too much clutter for my personal liking. Not saying they are bad at all, I would just suggest looking through one before you buy it so you are comfortable with your purchase.

The good news is, they have come down in price, seems like everywhere has them on sale or priced alot lower than they used to be. Not sure if that means they are going away or what, but at least they are priced pretty well these days. If you decide you don't like the reticle, a regular vx1 duplex will work just fine too. You can sight in your main crosshair at one point, and use the point on your lower post as an aiming point for longer distances.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think you can go wrong with any Leupold scope.

The Hogg VXR is really appealing to me. And its certainly priced right. http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-114933...pold+hog+scope

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...ope-matte.html

Some people say the VXR line has the older VARI X III internals. I have the VXR 3x9 Firedot and its a amazinly bright scope. Definatly a step up from the VX1 and VX2.