Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cooper of Montana - New Muzzleloder >

Cooper of Montana - New Muzzleloder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cooper of Montana - New Muzzleloder

Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cooper of Montana - New Muzzleloder

Crowhunter1 started the discussion about these new inline muzzleloaders being manufactured in Montana and I have done some further digging on the subject. From everything I can see and find the guys building these ML's and the rifles are top notch people.

http://www.cooperfirearms.com

I believe they did have Toby Bridges test and review the rifle and he did have really positive comments about the rifle, but, and I apologize to Mr. Bridges, I really do not take a lot of his reviews at face value, kinda like believing everything that Randy Wakeman has to say.

Anyway I have been trying to find out more about the rifle. This is a picture of one of the rifles.

The receiver LOOKS like a long action Remington 700, but really is not - they build (Copper) their own receiver. And even in this picture I have or think I have found out they do have a shorter action that they are going to use in the final version of the rifle...

It could look more like the one in this picture.

Here are some of the rifle specs as listed by Steve of Cooper

MODEL 22 ML SPECIFICATIONS:

• ACTION: Stainless or Blued (Chrome Moly) steel with one rear locking lug bolt action muzzle loader. *see foot note.
• MAGAZINE: N/A
• EXTRACTION: Primer is held captive in a slotted bolt face, which allows positive extraction from the breech plug & easy manual removal from the bolt face.
• EJECTION: N/A
• TRIGGER: Timney single stage trigger.
• ACTION DIMENSIONS: 8.25” x 1.3”
• AVAILABLE CALIBERS: 50
• SAFETY: Two position on tang.
• PASSIVE SAFETIES: Bolt handle acts as safety lug when in the locked (in battery) position. Action has gas vent holes.
• WEIGHT: 7.75 #
• LENGTH: 44 ¾” with 26” barrel
• BARREL: Stainless or blued (Chrome Moly) steel, 26” 50 caliber 1x28 twist. Barrel has 11 degree target crown beveled to facilitate loading from the muzzle. *see foot note
• BREECH PLUG: Stainless steel, removable with supplied tool.
• STOCKS: Walnut or exotic species with hand checkering (various grades) or laminate (various color schemes). All stocks are glass bedded.
Available in Classic, Custom classic, western classic, Schnabel, and Jackson game.
• IGNITION: #209 shotgun primer
• RAM ROD: Easton carbon fiber core with aluminum sheath, extendable, brass tips threaded 10/32 for accessories.
• SIGHTING EQUIPMENT: Action is drilled & tapped to accept standard Cooper scope bases or the Ken Farrell picatinney rail for the Model 22 action.
Open sights are an option & are New England Custom Guns top mount variety.

The Model 22 ML is rated to handle standard “Magnum” (150 grains, volume) of black powder or a substitute. It IS rated to handle Black Horn 209 powder. It is NOT rated for smokeless powder.
* Action cannot be converted to fire center fire cartridges.

Sure does look like a nice rifle...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wonder what the price of that will run?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a new personal rule.
If I'm uncomfortable taking a rifle into the woods, for fear of a scratch, I won't purchase it.

The last Knight I purchased, I intentionally picked the basic black synthetic stock. This Knight may look like murderers-row, all scratched up in five more years and I really don't care one-bit.

No more fancy-schmancy purchases for me.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 02-11-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Probably 5 grand , after all it's a Cooper

Old 02-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
If the new Remmy front stuffer is just shy of a grand I can only imagine how much this shootin iron is gonna be.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Probably 5 grand , after all it's a Cooper
I would hope not, if its only 150gr capable...
Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

A little more information:

The price range for our Muzzleloaders will range from $1595.00-$3095.00. But this is still probably subject to change. The stocks are very expensive and there is a movement possibly to get it into a light weight composite

Also, the actions & barrels are all either 4140 chrome Moly or 416 stainless steel. The breach plug is heat treated 416 stainless to increase life & reduce flame cutting. There is no sub par non firearms grade steel used.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cooper guns are first rate. That said they are going to have to really buckle down to provide a gun that will outshoot the Knight ultralight in my opinion. Ron
Old 02-11-2015, 06:03 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
A little more information:

The price range for our Muzzleloaders will range from $1595.00-$3095.00. But this is still probably subject to change. The stocks are very expensive and there is a movement possibly to get it into a light weight composite

Also, the actions & barrels are all either 4140 chrome Moly or 416 stainless steel. The breach plug is heat treated 416 stainless to increase life & reduce flame cutting. There is no sub par non firearms grade steel used.
For that much money a .416 swinglock would be much better gun to have than a 1:28 twist 50 cal . Even if it is a Cooper

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 02-11-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
For that much money a .416 swinglock would be much better gun to have than a 1:28 twist 50 cal . Even if it is a Cooper
Ya, I know they are expensive - but they look so good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.