Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade .54

Old 02-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Landngroove
90 grains FFG Goex + 018" pillow ticking patch + .530" round ball shot well from my T/C Renegades. 1 percussion, and 1 flinter. Never had any luck with Maxiballs, and Maxihunters.
I have tried both Maxi-ball and Maxi-hunter in both my .50 and .45 rifles that I hunt with and found the Maxi-ball to be the more accurate of the two hands down. I have also tried the Maxi-hunter in several of my .54's (my friend has the mold) and while I found the accuracy to be OK for the distances I will shoot while hunting, I was not that impressed. I have never had the opportunity to try the .54 Maxi-ball in any of my .54's as I don't have the mold and I'm not about to pay the ridiculous price they ask for those pre-lubed 20 packs. All of my .54's shoot a PRB pretty darn good, just some better than others.

I have never tried saboted bullets of any kind in any of my sidelocks...THAT'S BLASPHEMY!!!... ...Yea I know, now I'll get a bunch of BOO's from some of ya!

I want to try paper patched bullets like Idahoron does with some of my rifles this year.

BPS
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Spike

Thank you all for your responses! I am happy to hear with PRB's I will still be able to shoot ~100 yards, not sure I would try much farther with my inlines and 45 year old eyes anyway. I will keep you all posted.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 Renegades and several other 54 caliber rifles it was my preferred hunting caliber from 1977 to 1998when I started using inlines a good part of the time.
The load and bullet often depends on the twist I have had a 1in 38 which shot 200,230 and 140 grain bullets in a sabot quite [100 grains RS] well but most of mine are 1-48, 1-66Twist the 1-48 twist is quite versatile it handles a sabot with a jacketed bullet of 180 or 200 grain [110 grains RS] or a 400 grain conical or a PRB [110 grains RS].The slower twist I use PRB and a heavier powder load. Some people do not realize it but a 54 loaded right with the right size ball and patch and 120 or 130 grains of Pyrodex is quite capable at as far as 175 yards any one that doubts that should go to friendship and watch the Hawken match. I have taken both deer and bear at 180 +yards with them with open iron sights. The sights were hand made by me for the Hawken match and had two "0" one at 100yds and one at 177 yds. Some times I wonder why I started using the inlines so much I actually believe that a properly placed 54 caliber PRB drops deer on the spot more often than the saboted bullets I am using, which tells me I should start using premium bullets.

Last edited by lemoyne; 02-10-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with Cayugad on the .54 Rene shooting PRBs pretty good. But as long as you have a .50 and shooting 300 gr saboted bullets my question is why would you want to shoot them in the .54? There would be no benefit except having another rilfe. If I were you I would use a PRB or, for a lot more 'wallop' you could use a full bore conical like the Lyman Great Plains bullet.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Spike

My father in laws Renegade .54 shoots Great Plains at 100 yards very well. I was impressed. Try some Great Plains bullets
Old 02-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Spike

Mine shoots PRB and 425gr Hornady Great Plains conicals reasonably well with open sites, as long as I do my part.
My PBR load is 70grs (target) & 80grs (deer hunting) of goex 2f, a .015 patch, and Speer .530 RB.
My 425gr Great Plains load is 100grs of 2f, which I use for elk hunting.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Spike

Just an update for you all. I did end up buying the Renegade .54 and will keep you all up to date on my progress with it. Again in an attempt to answer the question of why try to shoot sabots the simple answer is a shorter learning curve. While I love to hunt and shoot I am very busy with my family, career and other interests. It has become apparent though that the best road to go down is a PRB and am looking forward to the challenge. Thank you all for your input, it's been a great help!

Mark
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega218er
Just an update for you all. I did end up buying the Renegade .54 and will keep you all up to date on my progress with it. Again in an attempt to answer the question of why try to shoot sabots the simple answer is a shorter learning curve. While I love to hunt and shoot I am very busy with my family, career and other interests. It has become apparent though that the best road to go down is a PRB and am looking forward to the challenge. Thank you all for your input, it's been a great help!

Mark
Mark,

One thing that I, (and several others) forgot to mention is... if you're going to shoot solid lead conicals, consider getting your hands on some "bore buttons" or felt wads if you will, to load between the powder and projectile. They're readily available through a number of muzzleloading supply houses and can be purchased pre-lubed or unlubed leaving you to decide what lube you would like to use.

I have personally seen a very noticeable difference in group size with and without the use of a felt wad, depending on what projectile I'm shooting. They act as a "gas check", and while some projectiles certainly benefit from their use, others may not. But, it's good to have some on hand when your testing begins if you're considering solid lead conicals.

I personally will not shoot T/C Maxi-bullets anymore (or Maxi-hunters), without the use of a felt wad because the accuracy is much better with than without. On the other hand, The Lee REAL does very well on it's own in my rifles without the use of a felt wad. I have seen a little difference with that projectile using a felt wad, but it wasn't significant. But, I still use one in every one of my rifles that I'm going to load a REAL in for hunting.

I have also read that some RB shooters use them to get very good accuracy while using thinner, "easier loading" patches with heavier charges. They place one between the charge and the PRB and it helps keep the hot gasses from burning through the patch thus acting as a gas check. I have yet to try this, but I'm going to...

Just something to consider...

BPS
Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My cousin uses the MMP purple sabots and a 50cal Speer 300gr. gold dot in his with Prodex. He has to use spit on the sabots.

Al
Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Spike

I got a .54 renegade been shooting since 78. Best accuracy I have even gotten with it at 100 yards was with a powerbelt 295 grain (the short stubby ones) with BP. Got about a 6" group. I read Greenhills formula for twist and caliber and saw that a short stubby conical would be best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.