Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Smoldering stump,speed loader n my longest shot >

Smoldering stump,speed loader n my longest shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smoldering stump,speed loader n my longest shot

Old 02-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Spike

Default Smoldering stump,speed loader n my longest shot

Had a new place to hunt,it was rolling hills and a mountain that backed up to a state park.Mountian was like an ice cream cone turned upside down.When you got to the top,it was a flat about a hundred yards..All the hollows looked the same ,if you dropped down the wrong one,you would be misplaced(lost).After my first time ,I decided to hunt the fields.Nice old oak blow down,been there for years.I had to have a cig. one morning,put it out and caught the stump on fire,had a heck of a time putting it out,after that it was referred to as the smoldering stump.I had my TC Scout 54 rifle,it was a shooter if it went off and 3 speed loaders,I had just discovered them.A buck came round the field,nose to the ground,he was about 160 yards off.It was now or never.I shot n he moved,gut shot,ran down in the creek bed and stopped.I reloaded quick and shot again,this time I hit high n split the hide.(didn't know this until later).He went a few more yards and is shaking.I load again,an in my haste,I put the sabot in backwards..I shoot again and its a true whistler and another hit.Buck goes another 70 yards n drops.I am pumped.I fire up a cig,take a few drags and lol,the buck is looking right at me.I have one shot left,he is too far away for another shot..He gets up and heads to the woods,if he makes it 200 yards or so,,he will be someone else trophy.He makes it to the woods and the fence, looks at it for a moment,turns and disappears in the tall grass..This is where it gets interesting..If you like to know the outcome,,share a good story,lol,,it gets deep after this but its true.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, I've heard enough.....
Old 02-03-2015, 05:34 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by inghamtr
Had a new place to hunt,it was rolling hills and a mountain that backed up to a state park.Mountian was like an ice cream cone turned upside down.When you got to the top,it was a flat about a hundred yards..All the hollows looked the same ,if you dropped down the wrong one,you would be misplaced(lost).After my first time ,I decided to hunt the fields.Nice old oak blow down,been there for years.I had to have a cig. one morning,put it out and caught the stump on fire,had a heck of a time putting it out,after that it was referred to as the smoldering stump.I had my TC Scout 54 rifle,it was a shooter if it went off and 3 speed loaders,I had just discovered them.A buck came round the field,nose to the ground,he was about 160 yards off.It was now or never.I shot n he moved,gut shot,ran down in the creek bed and stopped.I reloaded quick and shot again,this time I hit high n split the hide.(didn't know this until later).He went a few more yards and is shaking.I load again,an in my haste,I put the sabot in backwards..I shoot again and its a true whistler and another hit.Buck goes another 70 yards n drops.I am pumped.I fire up a cig,take a few drags and lol,the buck is looking right at me.I have one shot left,he is too far away for another shot..He gets up and heads to the woods,if he makes it 200 yards or so,,he will be someone else trophy.He makes it to the woods and the fence, looks at it for a moment,turns and disappears in the tall grass..This is where it gets interesting..If you like to know the outcome,,share a good story,lol,,it gets deep after this but its true.
I enjoy long range shooting .i practice all the time , mostly at paper or steel gongs . I have taken my share of deer at what would be considered insanely long distances for a muzzleloader . But if what you have said so far is true I don't think you will win much respect as a hunter on here . Most black powder hunters that I know believe in the one shot one kill philosophy . It doesn't always happen but that's the goal . My recommendation would be to forget the deer , forget the cigs, and instead shoot the stump . Any animal deserves the respect of a humane and clean kill if at all possible . There is a big difference between a target , a gong and an animal .

Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree. Harvesting intents should come with respect and dignity. There comes a time where we need to separate hunting skills with hunting lengths.

There are long discussions here on why Shot #8 went it's errant way. But is anything beyond Shots 1 and 2, really important, out in the woods?

Fun is fun. Serious business is serious business. There needs to be a line between them, when dealing with a breathing creature.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

That was painful to read. No more please.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Actually, I've heard enough.....
I agree... thanks nc

BPS
Old 02-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Spike

Ok Point taken.I went and checked on where the deer stood,tracked him into the tall grass,I had my head down,Buck jumped up right n front of me ,scared me,I pushed my rifle out,sling got caught n his horns ,he turned and my rifle went flying into a big wet cow pie.He went another 5 yards and dropped over dead.I was young.I learned to carry a compass,,some extra powder and bullets.I took what I thought was a good shot and the buck moved,like I said I was young., I had hit him in the liver,reguardless it turned into a bad shot..I will say I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited by inghamtr; 02-03-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by inghamtr
Ok Point taken.I went and checked on where the deer stood,tracked him into the tall grass,I had my head down,Buck jumped up right n front of me ,scared me,I pushed my rifle out,sling got caught n his horns ,he turned and my rifle went flying into a big wet cow pie.He went another 5 yards and dropped over dead.I was young.I learned to carry a compass,,some extra powder and bullets.I took what I thought was a good shot and the buck moved,like I said I was young., I had hit him in the liver,reguardless it turned into a bad shot..I will say I am sorry if I offended anyone.
Well... I wasn't offended.. I was more or less appalled. It reminded me of a horrific story a young hunter once told me about getting his first Buck with a bow.... it's so bad that I won't relate it here or to ANYONE unless I'm trying to make the point that there are some real A-holes out there mixed in among those of us who live by a code of hunting ethics.

ALWAYS, have the utmost respect for the game animals you hunt. They've been on this planet a lot longer than we humans have. NEVER take a shot if you have to question it or have second thoughts about your capabilities. I've let many, many deer walk because I just didn't feel right about squeezing the trigger, albeit for distance, shot placement, etc.

We've all made mistakes, but I seriously hope you have "come to terms" so to speak, and won't (or don't) do something like that again.

BPS