Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!! >

GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
If you ever do forget and put a crescent buttplate up to the shoulder you won't soon forget that experience .
No doubt. First time I shot a crescent stock, I almost never did again. My dad has one, he didn't tell me anything about how to hold it, just let me shoot it then laughed at me as I was in pain.
After learning where to hold, it wasn't so bad. I don't think I would buy one personally, I prefer the regular style.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mounting man
I am really thinking of trimming it off to be like a regular rifle stock.

My first thought is to sell it? But, no one wants to even give me near its value! I only shot it 5 times and the stock caused me to say no more!
Next thought is to try and make a wood filler block for half moon cut out or a recoil pad. The steel butt plate has to go though!
Last, cut the stock off then make a pad!
mounting man,

It's your rifle so what you do is ultimately your decision. Personally I wouldn't cut the stock and retro-fit a butt pad as it would ruin the aesthetics of the rifle so to speak and decrease the value, but it's yours and if that's what you choose to do, so be it.

As far as no one giving you what it's worth, you'll probably never get full value because it's used (even slightly) and it's not rare. Not to mention that in today's world, everyone wants something for as cheap as they can get it.

Seeing as how you have a lot of time between now and next Flintlock season, my suggestion is this...

If you know someone that's a very good woodworker/carver, kind of like someone who restores antique furniture or maybe someone that builds custom rifle stocks, you could have them make you a retro-fit butt plate from quality hardwood that fits the factory contour of your rifle but with a squared end like a regular rifle stock has. You could have them cut course checkering or horizontal lines in it so that it wouldn't be slippery when mounted to the shoulder. You may even be able to have something made from black nylon so that it looks compatible with the iron furniture it has now.

This alteration will more than likely change the LOP a bit so it's something you'll have to look into before plunking down any $$$. I would probably trace out and cut a chunk of pine for a "filler" as you stated and then duct tape it into the crescent. Then you can shoulder mount the rifle to find out if it's going to fit you.

On a side note... I've shot a number of the GPR's and although I'm not enamored with their deep crescent style butt plate, I never really found them to be a hindrance. Seems like the first time I shot one, I kinda "naturally" found the pocket it should rest in and from thereon whenever I shoulder one it seems to just fall into place...but that's how it works for me.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-29-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck if you don't like it, make a half stock Lancaster...Then you will have a nice, wide, flat butt plate...
Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Something Like This?

I put an aftermarket stock like this on my high-power, & liked it so much I altered the design for my new .58 cal. flint lock. I built it from a plank.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!!-dscn1394.jpg  

Last edited by Moosehuntersupreme; 01-30-2015 at 05:23 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 01-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Moosehuntersupreme
I put an aftermarket stock like this on my high-power, & liked it so much I altered the design for my new .58 cal. flint lock. I built it from a plank.

Paul
Nice! You don't see something like that often! Looks like its really comfortable to shoot.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul
If I run to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase a plank, will you build me one?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Spike

Talking

Triple Se7en says:
If I run to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase a plank, will you build me one?

Sure, if you can find one a full 2" thick in curly white maple, we can talk.
Paul
Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a Lyman Deerstalker With a rubber butt pad. 24 inch barrel Flint 54 very nice to shoot.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Spike

Paul
Very nicely done rifle.After looking at your rifle I got to thinking what would the ole timers think of it,so I looked up pics of wheel locks and after seeing some of those works of art,I was amazed.But one thing for sure,they would have liked that recoil pad.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I think about the old timers back then. I think they'd be laughing at us for copying what they used when we have better choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.