Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Large Rifle Primer--Second QRBP >

Large Rifle Primer--Second QRBP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Large Rifle Primer--Second QRBP

Old 01-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Large Rifle Primer--Second QRBP

This time a standard QRBP was modified to use the PRbullet adapters. This time JB weld was used to fill the fitment mortice. Somehow there got to be an air bubble in the JB weld, which i discovered the next morning when i started cutting the stuff with my pocket knife.

Then when i started sanding the JB weld to make it flush with the breech plug, i found i had cut too deep, and left a groove, so now there is a groove, and an air bubble

Because the plug was not going to use shotgun primers, the flame channel was made quite short, and there was only one vent liner with a 0.035" flash hole around here, so that was put into service.

The diameter of the primer socket was enlarged, and it was made deep enough so an o-ring could be used under the adapter.

This morning the Optima with the 4X scope was taken out to shoot.

There was very little breeze, so it seemed it might be worth a try at 200 yard. However, up where a 200 yard shot can be made is a ridge top, and there was a good right to left breeze. The elevation dial was turned up 8 moa, and three shots taken, one completely missed.

At home a couple more photo of the dirty breech plug.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good Ron! Great shooting
Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

Cool project.

I'm not familiar with the CVA guns and their BPs.

Why do they have that slot you filled in the first place?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
...I'm not familiar with the CVA guns and their BPs.

Why do they have that slot you filled in the first place?
The slot is to be used once. The first time the plug is installed into one's rifle, it won't go. A 'tool' is inserted into the slot, and the plug is torqued into the rifle using the tool. This forces the thin rim on the end of the plug into the barrel. This makes for a seal against blow by, around the end of the plug. One could use a pipe wrench.

If every thing is right, the marriage of plug and barrel is perfect, and blow by is zero. After the slot is utilized the one time, it no longer has a purpose. The second time the plug is installed in the rifle it is done with fingers; fingers only. The nth time the plug is installed, and removed it is done with fingers only. It is kinda amazing to do a long long session at the range, and then just unscrew the plug with fingers, and observe no soot on the threads.

No teflon tape, nor anti-seize grease is required, if one uses Blackhorn powder. Cannot speak about using other powders. The plug never ever sticks; just simply, easily unscrews. Me, i put one drop of oil on the threads, before the plug is installed into the rifle.

However, the rim on the end of the plug is quite fragile; one never ever wants to drop the plug; this ruins the seal. If the rim is just bent, it may be able to be fixed. If the rim is dinged, the plug will thereafter always leak.

It isn't hard for me to use a socket, and a ratchet to install, and remove breech plugs, so i am unable to understand why some are so enamored, with these plugs that can be installed, and removed, with only fingers.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The slot is to be used once. The first time the plug is installed into one's rifle, it won't go. A 'tool' is inserted into the slot, and the plug is torqued into the rifle using the tool. This forces the thin rim on the end of the plug into the barrel. This makes for a seal against blow by, around the end of the plug. One could use a pipe wrench.

If every thing is right, the marriage of plug and barrel is perfect, and blow by is zero. After the slot is utilized the one time, it no longer has a purpose. The second time the plug is installed in the rifle it is done with fingers; fingers only. The nth time the plug is installed, and removed it is done with fingers only. It is kinda amazing to do a long long session at the range, and then just unscrew the plug with fingers, and observe no soot on the threads.

No teflon tape, nor anti-seize grease is required, if one uses Blackhorn powder. Cannot speak about using other powders. The plug never ever sticks; just simply, easily unscrews. Me, i put one drop of oil on the threads, before the plug is installed into the rifle.

However, the rim on the end of the plug is quite fragile; one never ever wants to drop the plug; this ruins the seal. If the rim is just bent, it may be able to be fixed. If the rim is dinged, the plug will thereafter always leak.

It isn't hard for me to use a socket, and a ratchet to install, and remove breech plugs, so i am unable to understand why some are so enamored, with these plugs that can be installed, and removed, with only fingers.
Thanks Ron,

One learns something new every day.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thanks Ron for explaining that. I have a brand new Optima thats never been fired. since i plan to hunt three states next year i bought a new breech plug for a spare. I just figured the wrench is for a stuck B.P. I Think that I will carry it in a just in case kinda thing cause I dont want to mess with the fit of the original. I get that it probably wouldnt make a bit of difference but if it aint broke Im not fixing it. I cant wait to mount a scope and make some smoke!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't that have been a shock.. install the new breech plug out there in a foreign land, then discover your rifle won't go into battery. You could have used a pipe wrench. It's nice you won't have go through the angst.

The QRBP is the only breech plug i have ever used, that always twists right out, with just fingers.

Hopefully, you make smoke sooner, rather than later.