Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
scope finish damage >

scope finish damage

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope finish damage

Old 01-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Spike

Question scope finish damage

I have a CVA Kodiak Magnum. This year I mounted a new Weaver Classic K-4 scope. I'm happy with how the scope is performing; but I noticed when I was cleaning the rifle that the breach blast has marred the finish on the scope. I wiped the scope down but the markings remained.

My question is can anyone give some advice on protecting the finish of the scope? I was thinking of putting a coat of clear lacquer on the area that is effected by the blast to see if that will minimize the damage. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have been known to use duct tape when on the range. I Think T/C makes some kind of a bikini that covers the scope.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isnt the Kodiak Magnum a drop action gun like the Omega? Haven't really heard of that style gun having blowback issues on the scope.

Anyhow, on my Knight plunger guns that have the open style breech....I wrap electrical tape around my scopes between the rings. Keeps the blowback from burning the scope, and you can't even tell there is tape on the scope at a glance. Others have fashioned bra type protection made from various materials to accomplish the same thing.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Isnt the Kodiak Magnum a drop action gun like the Omega? Haven't really heard of that style gun having blowback issues on the scope...
If this is true, perhaps one could use a metric o-ring in the primer socket to seal off the blow by..?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

make a bikini for the scope out of duct tape. You can then take it off and wipe it clean. It will keep the finish of the scope like new and costs next to nothing.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by tankerchief
I have a CVA Kodiak Magnum. This year I mounted a new Weaver Classic K-4 scope. I'm happy with how the scope is performing; but I noticed when I was cleaning the rifle that the breach blast has marred the finish on the scope. I wiped the scope down but the markings remained.

My question is can anyone give some advice on protecting the finish of the scope? I was thinking of putting a coat of clear lacquer on the area that is effected by the blast to see if that will minimize the damage. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
TC, I just make a scope bra for my open breech guns that protects the underside of the scope...

A wiser man than I Underclocked created this pattern for the bra...

Old 01-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

The scopes on several of my guns get scorched. I just clean them with soap and water when I clean the gun and wipe on a little oil. Yeah, the finish is burned off and they get a gray patch in that area that's not particularly attractive. But who cares. It just doesn't bother me. However, I am wondering how many thousands of shots it will take to burn through the tube.