Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Have you ever, for any reason, lost a game animal?
Yes
88.10%
No
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Unrecovered Game?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never lost a deer with a muzzleloader. Now I've had a clean miss with a muzzy on a shot that I shouldn't have taken years ago, but I don't count that as an unrecovered deer.

I have lost deer during archery season, however - 2 times. IMO with a bow and arrow it is much, much easier to not make a clean shot and/or lose the animal. Even something like a small twig that you just don't see can deflect the arrow, the deer can flinch or move while the arrow is in flight, etc etc. Plus an arrow is far less deadly than a high velocity bullet. It still kills, but not as quickly or decisively as a bullet.

With the 2 I lost with a bow, one of them I actually saw the arrow's fletching sticking out from the ribcage behind the shoulder as the deer took off. It was a little bit high, but still should have been a lethal shot. I waited a couple hours and then went to track the deer. Being a high shot, there wasn't much blood trail, and the deer ran right into a thick and massive swamp. I searched the whole afternoon and came back the next morning with some friends and searched and we turned up nothing.

The 2nd one, I have no idea what happened other than the arrow must have hit a branch/twig. The buck was very close- like 12 yards broadside and was relaxed, unaware of any danger. It was in some brush, but I thought I had a clear shooting lane, and the shot felt good. After 2 days of searching, I found the buck half-eaten by coyotes- the arrow had hit far back in the paunch - close to the rear hams. I have no idea to this day what happened...
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

No, a clean miss is not unrecovered for this poll.

What you mention about bow hunting is true-it does not take much to deflect an arrow and wind counts!

The bowhunt is by far my favorite and there simply is no substitute for practice especially from a stand.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Poll is closed, thank you for your answers.
Obviously, this was the honor system and not 100% reliable ( so we won't dwell on standard deviation :

Roughly- 1 out of 10 has never lost an animal after the shot; 9 out of 10 have.

I'd like to thank Muley for prompting this poll.

I know he posted the same elsewhere, those results would be interesting as well.

These are about what I would have expected.

Did you need the last word on this, Pete?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I've lost a deer once. I spent 26 yrs. in the USAF and qualified expert marksman every year!!! So it is possible that schmidt happens!!!!

Muley you need to take up a hobby to calm down that old mind of yours. Or here is a novel thought, how about just reading a post and not posting an annoying response??

Merry Christmas Mr. Scrooge!!!!!!!
With a face like his pic posted what do you expect?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
With a face like his pic posted what do you expect?
You don't like my teeth?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You don't like my teeth?
Actually the teeth add character to the look!!!