Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking at another Disc Extreme >

Looking at another Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking at another Disc Extreme

Old 12-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking at another Disc Extreme

Looking at a used Extreme with blued barrel.

If i don't shoot BH209, is the Disc primer setup reliable enough, or should I still do the Bare Prime conversion? The reason I'm asking is that it cost me over $120 for the Bare Primer conversion, between shipping and duties!

I love the setup with the Extreme that I have but...
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Looking at a used Extreme with blued barrel.

If i don't shoot BH209, is the Disc primer setup reliable enough, or should I still do the Bare Prime conversion? The reason I'm asking is that it cost me over $120 for the Bare Primer conversion, between shipping and duties!

I love the setup with the Extreme that I have but...
The FPJ (Red Plastic Jacket) will shoot BP and BP subs just fine. It will be just a bit dirty. It will actually shoot BH also - but the reliability of it might be questionable.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 Knights that I've owned for several years. I used them for all my hunting. They all came with the original yellow disc; were modified to shoot the red full plastic jacket when they were introduced. I used 777 and Pyrodex and switched to BH209 when it was introduced. I had a few ignition problems until I changed to CCI 209M primers and bought a breech plug from Knight that was designed for BH209. I also made sure I was cleaning the carbon out of the flame channel in the breech plug with a hand turned drill bit. With that set up I was getting more blowback than I wanted and was tired of the extra clean up. Before hunting season last year I bought 3 Lehign bare primer breech plugs, changed to the Federal 209A primer and couldn't be more pleased. Much cleaner rifle, no ignition problems and great accuracy. Killed 12 feral hogs and 2 Whitetails. My current hunting load is 110 Grs of BH209, Harvesters' Black Crush Rib Sabots and 300 grain PT Gold bullet and Federal's 209A primer. I think you will be pleased with the change.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious but if you already have a Disc Extreme, why buy the conversion kit. You can only shoot one at a time so why not just change the bolt assembly from one Extreme to the other.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

First I'm a gun nut of long standing and second I got a really good buy on the conversion breech plugs from Lehigh before they started making them for Knight. I also have a son, grandson and daughter that hunt with me from time to time and use the other 2 rifles. We have a lease in West Texas and the last 4 years I hunted primarily from a 8' tripod. For my 77th birthday this August my kids thought the old man needed a better blind and bought me a nice double box blind to use. With the extra room I can now keep a second rifle in the blind with me. Our lease is overrun with feral hogs and every once in a while I can get in a second shot quicker than reloading.
We also do a fair amount of spot and stalk hunting in midday and my Disc Elite and Master Hunter are a lot better suited for that type of hunting than my Long Range Hunter. With scope and sling it weighs north of 10 1/2 lbs. Give us a report if you try the bare primer.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Spike

Where are you buying your conversions, 120.00 sounds high. You should buy direct from Knight
Old 12-16-2014, 02:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DiscMan
Where are you buying your conversions, 120.00 sounds high. You should buy direct from Knight
I did buy direct from Knight. I'm in Canada, shipping and duties, jack up the price!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rogo
Just curious but if you already have a Disc Extreme, why buy the conversion kit. You can only shoot one at a time so why not just change the bolt assembly from one Extreme to the other.
True, but I'm thinking as a backup gun or one I lend out.