Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
bullet drop on TC encore >

bullet drop on TC encore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet drop on TC encore

Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Spike

Default bullet drop on TC encore

I have a .50 cal TC encore and have sighted in at 100 yds with 245 gr powerbelt hollow point and 2 triple 7 50/50 pellets. I can not shoot further than 100 yards at the range. So if I was out on the field and had to take a longer shot not sure how much the bullet will drop. Does anyone know how much will the bullet drop at 150 yds or 200 yds? I know that there are apps that will make this calculation but I want to know if anyone has tried this set up. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here `ya go.

http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/Trip...t-100yards.php
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by seller
I have a .50 cal TC encore and have sighted in at 100 yds with 245 gr powerbelt hollow point and 2 triple 7 50/50 pellets. I can not shoot further than 100 yards at the range. So if I was out on the field and had to take a longer shot not sure how much the bullet will drop. Does anyone know how much will the bullet drop at 150 yds or 200 yds? I know that there are apps that will make this calculation but I want to know if anyone has tried this set up. Thanks for your help.
I've owned and shot Encore platform rifles since they hit the market. Great rifles and easy to modify the frame for better accuracy and shooter preference.

Now this is my opinion only, you can take it or leave it......

Unless the PB is the only bullet you can find, I'd suggest changing, especially for longer range hunting/shooting and bullet performance. Yeah, there will be guys come about, saying there's nothing wrong with a PB and long range shooting. Myself, I simply ignore it.

If you want to get the MOST from your Encore platform rifle, I would suggest getting away from pellets and start shooting loose propellant. Your rifle will shoot Blackhorn 209 without any modifications that other rifles may need (breech plugs).

Prior to BH209 becoming available, I shot T7 through my Encores. Since BH became available, its the only propellant I've shot through them and would never switch back. I am very partial to Barnes bullets, which is what each Encore platform rifle I've owned shot, VERY WELL and at longer ranges (200yds).

My "go to" load in all my Encore platform rifles was:
110grs volume ...... BH209
Barnes 250gr TMZ bullets
CCI 209M primers

From all my Encore rifles with the above load and bullet, I zeroed the rifle for 150yds, which put me slightly over 2" high at 100yds and 6.5" low at 200yds. Bullets were seated HARD over the propellant.

Although this worked in all my rifles, I would never imply that with your current load, you'd even come close to matching it, which is why I made a suggested change. Without actually shooting your specific rifle and specific load, and at the ranges you intend to shoot/hunt, you should never just count on ballistic charts.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would suggest you find an area that you can shoot the distance you want to check the drop at. Charts, and forums can't give you an answer.

You're talking about wounding an animal if you get it wrong. Be more responsible.

I agree that you picked a lousy bullet.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with the prior posters, you need to absolutely shoot the ranges for yourself, cant rely on ballistic software completely you need first hand. I too like the loose powder (bh209). My personal setup, is a 200 grain sabot bullet pushed by 110 grains of bh209. Im 2inches high and 50, 4 inches high at 100 and about 6 low at 200.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Spike

Thank for the input guys. I will definitely make some changes in my set up. But I was wondering, how does loose powder make you shoot more accurate than pellets?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Powder will give you more consistent loads. If you weight the pellets you'll see they aren't consistent. I've also heard that if you crush them, and they break up some during loading it can affect accuracy too.

You can also fine tune powder better. How would you get 95gr with pellets if that was what your gun liked the best?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

I'm amazed at how many shooters settle on a 110 gr load of BH 209 as the foundation for their go to load for TC's and Knights. I use a 300 gr. PT Gold bullet, the Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot and Federal's 209A Primer. I was using the CCI 209M primer based on BH's earlier recomendations, but they were too hard to find. I zero all my rifles at 2" high at a hundred and they are about spot on at 150 yds and 3" low at 200 yds. I do agree that you can only use our info as a starting point and you have to shoot at those ranges to confirm your gun's results.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

looks like everyone has basically already answered but i agree. reading information from a chart has little to no bearing in comparison to a real world application.
it seems funny to me how many "enthusiasts" there are to hunting that chamber their first bullet of the year the day deer season opens. people need to spend time shooting and even more so in the case of black powder and archery.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Off subject but......

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
looks like everyone has basically already answered but i agree. reading information from a chart has little to no bearing in comparison to a real world application.
it seems funny to me how many "enthusiasts" there are to hunting that chamber their first bullet of the year the day deer season opens. people need to spend time shooting and even more so in the case of black powder and archery.
How far are you from Carrot River?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.