Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another Blown Muzzleloader >

Another Blown Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Blown Muzzleloader

Old 12-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some smokeless powders create less pressure then current black powder substitutes when used properly", there is no proper way to use smokeless powder in a black powder or black powder substitute gun.
You are correct but you do realize smokeless MLs have been built since the 1980s by SMI. Savage made them for years and book loads make under 35KPSI. The Savage was also tested with a double powder charge by its creators Henry and Bill Ball. Do you realize of all the tens of thousands of Savage MLs made there have been only 4 reported kabooms and at least one is highly suspicious from a disgruntled former employee.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Some smokeless powders create less pressure then current black powder substitutes when used properly. As I can see in the picture it looks like a Maxihunter bullet. A full bore conical is not recommended to use with smokeless powders and BH209 for that matter.

Im not a fan at all of full bore conicals in muzzleloaders. That's pretty much why ive never got really excited about sabotless bullets. When using sabots it provides another safety factor for stupidity. The sabot will blow and release the pressure around the bullet. When shooting sabotless or conicals you don't have that extra safety. When the gun is double loaded or whatever theres no place for the pressure to release so you blow the gun up.

This guy is very lucky to of only lost two fingers. Im very happy to see the breech plug is still in place and the plunger. And I firmly believe you could do this same thing with any powder not just smokeless powder. That's why everyone should use a load mark on your ramrod to avoid any kind of double loading or mishaps like this.
There you go blasting conicals again. I think the same result would have happened with a saboted bullet. In fact, it has!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

So what is your point GM54? Of course I know there are smokeless powder muzzle loaders. I remember when they were illegal to use in PA. That however is not the point of the thread, we are talking about smokeless powder used in a gun not meant for it.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
So what is your point GM54? Of course I know there are smokeless powder muzzle loaders. I remember when they were illegal to use in PA. That however is not the point of the thread, we are talking about smokeless powder used in a gun not meant for it.
Grouse said used properly and there is a way to use it properly, just not in a BP only ML. Im actually quite surprised the powder even ignited.

Ive owned 3 SMLs and i find them to be safer than MLs. A short started smokeless load is highly unlikely to ignite. Real BP will ignite regardless. Pyrodex will ignite regardless. Pacnor 45 SML barrels has been tested to well over 100Kpsi and all my loads are well under 50Kpsi.

What proof load have your MLs been tested with?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Apples and oranges, but if you are impressing yourself by all means continue.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Apples and oranges, but if you are impressing yourself by all means continue.
So its safe to assume you have no idea what level your ML barrel has been tested to handle. You have no pressure trace data for your ML or barrel.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Even Blackhorn 209 tells you in their website not to use their powder in a plunger type action, much less smokeless. As Ron White says " you can't fix stupid" and this guy is darn lucky he didn't kill or blind himself.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Exclamation

Are we absolutely certain this was a case of Hold my beer, watch this?

Has anyone considered that the guy simply didn't know what he was doing?!

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Yes, one could argue that using gunpowder without the proper knowledge is stupid; that's semantics.

Many assumptions; what are the facts?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.
Sometimes there's a very fine line.

BPS
Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

He's lucky that's all he lost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.