Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Getting ready,2014 >

Getting ready,2014

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting ready,2014

Old 12-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default Getting ready,2014

Hey guys,

Muzzleloading season opens here next week; much to my dismay, I haven't shot since last April!(work,work,work,dull boy,etc)
Took the TC High Plains Sporter off the rack earlier in the week, felt very good to make smoke!
I've got to do that more.

I was musing how things change.

Fifteen or so years ago,high tech was fiber optic sights and cutting edge was mounting a scope on the ole' smokepole!
(I don't even want to talk about how that much time can pass so quickly...)

Then inlines hit the scene.

Looking through the classifieds now, it's a whole different sport.

Talk to guys around here and mention shooting cap & ball, they smile and nod politely, tell me how cool it is to still do that, and wonder if I've seen the new guns! LOL

Very rarely do I see a wood stock anymore.
A spit patch?!

I guess I'm officially an old guy...

So, from one old guy to another, I hope you and yours are well this holiday season!

Hopefully, I'll be able to post up a victory report later next week.

Until then-

Edit to add- since everything changes, I've elected to change my username as well.
3seasons referred to the fact that I hunted bow,rifle,and blackpowder.
Since I now hunt only with bow and blackpowder (& the occasional shotgun)- ModernPrimitive seems more appropriate.

Yeah, I'm moving backward.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-09-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Well if one wooden stocked muzzleloader makes you an old guy, I would hate to guess what I am... I can remember when you never saw a Traditional style gun with anything but a wood stock. Now you see them all the time.

Times have changed. So have rifles, powders, bullets, you name it. Some find it sad, while others embrace the new changes and find it exciting. I sit on the fence myself. While I own modern rifles, my real passion is the old time ones.

I wish you a great hunting season. Be safe, warm and get a big buck. And the best of the holidays to come.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Technology has definitely progressed ML forward, to places that most probably could never have imagined... but I think everyone should have at least one old school gun

Good luck, hope you get one!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I bought my T/C plains rifle and used T/C quick release mount to mount a $5.00 yard sale Weaver K 4 fixed power scope when my eyes just were not working with the Hawkins with buck horn sights.

Now I mostly carry a Remington 700 in 50cal or the other one in 54cal out.
Was even looking at the rule book this morning to make sure it had to be loaded from the muzzle, which it does.
I still wonder what a 870 slugger would be like with hand loaded with Black powder and a saboted slug would be like?

Al
Old 12-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Right, alleyyooper, you've got the High Plains Sporter too!

Let me ask you this, how does yours shoot PRB?

At 50+ yds I was always dead on since I got mine; backed out to 85+ yds and it was all over the place?!

After a dozen shots with no pattern using 75 gr777(my usual), I ended up re-sighting with maxi-balls which put two in the 3" bull at 85+yds, actually within 1" of each other, then I was losing light.

Honestly, I am not 100% confident and will probably shoot again in the a.m. instead of heading to a stand.

What are you shooting?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 seasons, you just got me remembering, the very first ML I ever had was the High Plains Sporter. 20+yrs ago. I didn't know what I was doing at all, and couldn't get it to shoot. I traded it in on an MK85 in 1994.

Hindsight, I know now exactly why I couldn't get it to shoot...a few stupid user errors. Wish I still had that gun, I liked the size of it alot. Of course I'm not sad I got the MK, that is an awesome gun and I've shot a bunch of deer with it.

Maybe I'll stumble into another sporter one day, but I doubt there are many around.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Never shot a Patched round ball for hunting in mine. I always used maxi balls and had it sighted in so it was on at 100 yards with 110 gr. of clean shot. was a dead hold in the kill zone from 25 yards to 100.
Haven't shot it much since I switched to T 7 when clear shot was put out of business.
Was thinking about that the other day. Still can get Prodex loose and pellets about any place that sells ML supplies, triple 7 loose and pellets and that is about it local except one place if your rich that sells BH209. Real black you have to order and pay a hasmat fee.

Al
Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

OK- 75 gr 777, maxi-ball lubed w/bore butter dead on at 80yd+ and 50yd+, 3"bull, rear peep, front bead.

(About the yardage +: the benches I use are on two flatter areas; actual measure is +5-8 yards.)

I've only ever shot this rifle for pleasure, so I never took it beyond 50.
I had decided this was the year to take it on a hunt when I took it out of storage the other day.

All I can think is that the 1:48, shorter barrel (vs my Lyman Great Plains, for example) throws the prb around beyond 50 yds with my preferred 75 gr.

Now, the forecast calls for a 3 day storm mostly comprised of rain & sleet.

Snow, I like; rain-not so much.

We'll see...