Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady xtp

Old 12-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Spike

Default Hornady xtp

Has anyone used these out of a bp rifle for deer? Come across a good deal and got some
Old 12-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally have not, but I shoot them all the time. Many people hunt with them and have wonderful results.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Spike

Yes I have killed deer with them. No I wouldn't use them again. There are far better choices for a hunting round. I have a small stash left, but only use them getting on paper with new guns.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Has anyone used these out of a bp rifle for deer?
Yes, i have used them since 1999.

The bullet i use is the 240 grain .430 XTP. That bullet had dropped 20-25 deer and dozens of wild hogs for me. Put the bullet in the right place and it does a fine job.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by teflondon
Yes I have killed deer with them. No I wouldn't use them again. There are far better choices for a hunting round. I have a small stash left, but only use them getting on paper with new guns.
I have taken 4 deer with them and have 4 or 5 hundred which I just keep against the time when I can not get Deep Curl SST or shock Wave. They will do in a pinch but there are much better bullets available. It also depends on what you are hunting I switch to copper or Lehigh bullets for game much larger than deer.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Spike

Well I will be using hem for deer here in Georgia. I got 200 for bout what you can get a 100 for. If they won't do the job in the CVA optima rifle I will use them in the CVA optima pistol I just got. Just curious to know if they wld work or not
Old 12-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
Well I will be using hem for deer here in Georgia. I got 200 for bout what you can get a 100 for. If they won't do the job in the CVA optima rifle I will use them in the CVA optima pistol I just got. Just curious to know if they wld work or not
Sounds like a good deal.
I would say you'll be just fine. XTP's typically shoot very well, and LOTS of folks use them as their go to bullet on game. You don't hear many folks say they don't like em, especially on deer sized game.

Good luck getting one with your pistol! Post pics when you do
Old 12-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

This is my Optima shooting different XTPs. As you can see, with the right powder charge, they are very accurate. As for hunting, I would not be concerned if it was me, using them. Put them in the right spot and they will kill the game animal.

The question of, is there better bullets out there. Of course there are. I drive a GMC truck. Is there better trucks out there? Not in my book but I am sure a Ford owner or my friend who drives Toyota Tundras would argue that too. The bullet is a quality bullet. I think, and I do believe this as I have no in field experience, but I do believe that if placed in the right spot... you have a dead deer.

Falcon has shot numerous deer and hogs with them. Talk about testing the bullets faults. And if Falcon say they work... I sure would hunt with them. Good luck. Then Georgia deer are small anyway according to my brother in law who used to live in Statesboro.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Spike

There 45 cal .452 250 gr xtp. Got 30 bucks in 200. Thanks guys for the input
Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teflondon

OK, I gotta' ask this tough question. What combination of bullet, powder and grain volume caused you to abandon the XTPs?

If you have more than one, please share.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.