Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

why do you hunt?

Old 12-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no problem with someone that hunts for the enjoyment and then does not eat what they hunt. The main thing is, as long as the meat is not wasted. When I was a kid, we had a neighbor that loved to go fishing. He was an excellent fisherman. BUT refused to eat a single fish. There was some reason why, but I never learned it. Just.. don't eat fish. Well let me tell you, we always appreciated a large catch of bluegill or a bass or two. Same as hunting. If its something you enjoy, then do it. Yet, be concerned enough that what you harvest does not go to waste. No problem at all.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Dave, I never analyzed why I enjoy hunting and fishing I just do it helps that I like eating them also and when I get one more than I need they go to a fellow hunter that has had poor luck or the hungry. There is a quote in the bible about those who help the those in need and those who won't.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) Several reasons, but at its most basic, it (and fishing) is one of the few things I can completely do by myself that is enjoyable and rewarding.

2) Originally got into BP solely for the extended season in VA that normally coincides with the rut. Now I do it almost exclusively. I like the one shot/one kill mentality. Still occasionally use my dad's .308, but if I could use only one rifle all the time, it would be my Omega X7

And regarding the "ego" argument, I don't buy it. Maybe if the deer were scarce but in my neck of the woods they're not. Rarely do I get my allotted 6 per season, but I do fill my freezer and give the rest to friends or the Va Hunters for the Hungry organization which I view as a very worthy cause. I have quite a bit of skepticism for most that claim they hunt solely for the meat as there are usually cheaper ways to put food on the table. Face it, we all have a little bit of ego involved with our hunting choices.

Last edited by hubby11; 12-03-2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because I prefer wild over domestic.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always donated half the meat to the local mission. The poor need to eat too.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The challenge.
The enjoyment of being in the wild.
Reduce the meat bill.
Better quality of meat.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you who don't eat venison and still want to help feed the hungry, go to the supermarket and buy a couple boxes of canned goods. Donate that and leave the deer herd alone.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kind of a selfish attitude. You'd rather give the poor a can of beans instead of fresh meat, so you can have more deer to kill?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Kind of a selfish attitude. You'd rather give the poor a can of beans instead of fresh meat, so you can have more deer to kill?
Yea Muley... That's all it's about.

BPS
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
For those of you who don't eat venison and still want to help feed the hungry, go to the supermarket and buy a couple boxes of canned goods. Donate that and leave the deer herd alone.
One of the many great things about our country is the freedom we posses. We have the freedom to choose how we support our fellow man. The freedom to spend time in great outdoors. The freedom to spend our money on deer tags if we see fit.

As long as all are done within the law, our fellow sportsman should support us. There are enough people in this country trying to stop hunters, we don't need our fellow hunters helping them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.