Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Now! Hunting Season is really here!!! >

Now! Hunting Season is really here!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Now! Hunting Season is really here!!!

Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Now! Hunting Season is really here!!!

I know the season started last month but it really has not been hunting weather.... It got cold once for a few days but other than that it has been like spring - shirt sleeve hunting weather....

But this morning things they are changing - it has been a long time coming. It started snowing about 45 minutes ago and the forecast is for more including 8-10" on Monday. Hope most of it is all in the hills not here in town.

I am making the switch over from a modern muzzleloader to a Western legal Ultra-Lite today and hopefully hunting tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

What is next on the menu... elk? That western legal.. other then it takes a #11 cap to fire it, that is still a Knight Mountain Rifle is it not?

Speaking of snow... our weather man said Ironwood Michigan (about 30 miles away) had registered 89 inches of snow for the month of November. Thank goodness I did not catch all that lake effect snow. The thirty some inches we caught was enough and... my snow blower broke its drive chains the other day. I called the neighbor kid friend of mine who can fix anything (I mean it the kid is a whiz with engines) was over today and said I needed a new chain or he might be able to save the links and he wanted to tune the engine and clean the needle value something or other... Thank goodness for neighbors. So he loaded it up and took it home with him.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
What is next on the menu... elk? That western legal.. other then it takes a #11 cap to fire it, that is still a Knight Mountain Rifle is it not?
It is a Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite and for Idaho in ML season it must be cap ignited open sights and conical... We are headed out tomorrow, my hunting partner has both a deer tag and a hot elk tag and I still have a controlled hunt doe tag and my elk tag becomes valid Dec. 2 - both of these tags are ML tags.

It looks like we are done snowing for awhile - only got about 2" here and now it is clearing off and suppose to get down to 19* this evening - so it could really be good hunting in the morning. We are suppose to get another round Sunday evening & Monday 8-10". I will believe it when it happens...

Speaking of snow... our weather man said Ironwood Michigan (about 30 miles away) had registered 89 inches of snow for the month of November. Thank goodness I did not catch all that lake effect snow. The thirty some inches we caught was enough and... my snow blower broke its drive chains the other day. I called the neighbor kid friend of mine who can fix anything (I mean it the kid is a whiz with engines) was over today and said I needed a new chain or he might be able to save the links and he wanted to tune the engine and clean the needle value something or other... Thank goodness for neighbors. So he loaded it up and took it home with him.
Using normal unleaded gas with ethanol is really hard on small engines and the carbs tend or can clog up with lack of use. Fortunately here I can still buy ethanol free gas for my ATV's, mowers, and snow blower. Makes a ton of difference. You can buy an additive to pour in the gas that helps reduce the effects of ethanol but there is still nothing like Ethanol Free gas.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Using normal unleaded gas with ethanol is really hard on small engines and the carbs tend or can clog up with lack of use. Fortunately here I can still buy ethanol free gas for my ATV's, mowers, and snow blower. Makes a ton of difference. You can buy an additive to pour in the gas that helps reduce the effects of ethanol but there is still nothing like Ethanol Free gas.

I only burn premium unleaded no ethanol gas in my mowers, blowers, weed eaters, chain saws, and ATV. I learned that little trick many years ago. And if I store them I have an additive to add also.

My old ATV is starting to become real undependable. I tried starting it but it would have nothing to do with running. I guess after fifteen years of hard use, its showing its age... maybe time for a new one. I think I will go with one of them Argos next time.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could say we were just getting started with winter. Ours started on Veteran's Day. We went from mid 40's and sunny to about a foot of snow and cold. I can handle one or the other, but it's way too early in the year to be having single digit high's and below 0 at night.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tomorrow is PAs rifle deer opener. I decided to keep the CFs in the safe and pulled the .58 cal Renegade off the rack and take it out. I figure if I whack one with one of those big balls he ain't going far. Good luck to all my hunting compadres.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Tomorrow is PAs rifle deer opener. I decided to keep the CFs in the safe and pulled the .58 cal Renegade off the rack and take it out. I figure if I whack one with one of those big balls he ain't going far. Good luck to all my hunting compadres.
Hope all goes as planned... git one em!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from opening week in WV... we had an early season snowstorm Wednesday.... got 17"!!! Made for tough going for sure. We've never in the 25+yrs I've been hunting WV had even 1/3 that much snow opening week.

Good luck fellas!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I just got back from opening week in WV... we had an early season snowstorm Wednesday.... got 17"!!! Made for tough going for sure. We've never in the 25+yrs I've been hunting WV had even 1/3 that much snow opening week.

Good luck fellas!
That is a lot of snow! Especially when your not used to it. It can make getting up in the woods kind of hard. How was the hunting? Did you see lots of deer or were they hiding from all the snow too?