Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #5) >

Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #5)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #5)

Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Heavy Lead in the .45 GM/TC Renegade (Range Session #5)

Short range session after the hunt today - two five-shot targets.

Changed the load from GOEX FFFg to FFg. Also upped the charge from 85 grains to 95 grains.

While the recoil of the 85 grain load was not uncomfortable, I have to admit, the 95 grain load was noticeably more "vigorous". Ten shots wasn't bad. But I sure wouldn't want to shoot any more than twenty or so shots in one range session.

Here's the first target at 100 yards.

The group was a little tighter than the 100 yard/85 grain FFFg load shot in Session #4, and POI was about an inch and a half higher.

Here's the second target at 125 yards.

This group was 7/8" larger than the 125 yard/85 grain FFFg group shot in Session #4, and again about an inch and a half higher.

But WOW - look at that three-shot cloverleaf. Now you have to ask, were those three just a fluke or could a better shooter put all five of them into a one-inch group?

I have a Cabala's Powder Horn 3x10 muzzle loader scope with a bullet drop reticle sitting in the closet. I really don't need that kind of power for hunting, and it won't look as "balanced" on the Renegade as does the little Simmons 4X. But I'm thinking about mounting it for the next range session just to see just how tight a group I can get with these bullets, and maybe take it out to 150/200 yards.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-16-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy Semi, that is some great shooting for sure! You gotta be happy with that...
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow... that is some good shooting. And that load is a real game stopper. I personally like Triple Seven 3f when I shoot conicals bullets but I might have to try what you have there.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys. The thing that's impressing me about these slip fit conicals is that the 100 yard groups are as good as or better than what I was getting with 200 grain XTPs and 180 grain Gold Dots in sabots.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Van, glad them bullets are working out for you! I knew you would like them 465gr bullets better. Now go whack something with them. GRIN

Ed
Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting Semi. But one question. Why did you go from 85 gr of FFFg to 95 gr of FFg? Why not say with FFFg? (ok - I guess that's 2 questions)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why? Hell, I don't know, I'm only semisane.

I wanted to try FFg, and also wanted to try a 95 grain load. So I combined the two at the start of the session. Had I more time I would have shot at least one more group with FFFg/95 grains. I also was thinking about pulling out the chronograph to compare both loads. But it started to rain halfway through the second group. So I packed up and headed home.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Spike

Now that's darn good shootin!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

This has me thinking. Maybe I should take my .45 out and try some of the maxiballs I had cast and see how they shoot