Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How often do you do a complete clean. >

How often do you do a complete clean.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How often do you do a complete clean.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default How often do you do a complete clean.

During hunting season if you shoot something do you go back that day after the hunt and tear apart your gun, breach plug and all? Or do you let it go for a couple weeks until the ML season ends? I always use wet then dry patches to clean my barrel after each shot but I am curious how long it is "safe" to let the breach plug go without a cleaning.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm picky. I do a full cleaning even if i've only taken one shot.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm with Muley... if I shoot it, for what ever reason, it gets cleaned that evening.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

A full cleaning every time it is shot, always.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt with white rifles which require firing a squib load which makes the barrel dirty so the bullets can stay in the barrel so i just came back from a hunt here in arizona where it's very dry so when i loaded my rifle i hunted with it for two day's but you can't let any moisture get in the barrel which means you have to keep it from getting to hot or cold too quickly which creates condesation this is something i could only do here never back in the northeast you have to clean every night or you will probably get rust if there's moisture. long winded but hope the info helps. by the way if there's any doubt clean it.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i hunt with white rifles which require firing a squib load which makes the barrel dirty so the bullets can stay in the barrel so i just came back from a hunt here in arizona where it's very dry so when i loaded my rifle i hunted with it for two day's but you can't let any moisture get in the barrel which means you have to keep it from getting to hot or cold too quickly which creates condesation this is something i could only do here never back in the northeast you have to clean every night or you will probably get rust if there's moisture. long winded but hope the info helps. by the way if there's any doubt clean it.
A little bit of a thread hijack but have you tried Knurling the bullet and applying teflon tape to mimic a fouled bore? It works very well with my 54 Bison and No Excuse bullets.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
I'm with Muley... if I shoot it, for what ever reason, it gets cleaned that evening.
Ditto a full cleaning after shooting
Old 10-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

no i haven't tried that but i have in the past shot sabots with a cleaned and oiled barrel with grease on the sabots. i just bought a .54 bison maybe i'll try that. fyi to the original poster not cleaning your rifle is risky you have to know for sure about the conditions and even then your taking a risk !
Old 10-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Spike

I clean my guns after any type of shooting. I love my guns and I want them to be treated the best and hope they will last a lifetime.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto i love my guns as well and have been shooting some of them for over twenty years and you would think they are new and never used, the barrels are spotless. like i said not cleaning is risky but if you know what the conditions are you can get away with it. but i don't recommend it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.