Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New muzzleloader what to buy >

New muzzleloader what to buy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New muzzleloader what to buy

Old 10-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New muzzleloader what to buy

Well moving back to kentucky. Ill miss the beaches but im a hillbilly at heart. Plus this is my tenth year hunting and ill be in the same spot i started in so long ago. Its special for me.

Iv bow hunted gun hunted both more then muzzleloader but every deer i dropped with the tc triumph i had. So im gonna get a new muzzy to expand my season.
I bought the triumph ohh back in 2009 or 2010 i think and loved it. With the omega bdc scope i dropped two deer at 250 yards 1 at 100 and two around 150. All but the 100 yard shot were dead in the heart that one i thought was 150 shot high hit its spine. All were takin with a 250 grain shockwave with 150 gr triple 7. I have no argument not to get another one as i loved it. But i have no issue considering a different muzzleloader. The one that pops out is the encore.
What are you all thoughts on what to get. Whats new in the world of black powder?

The pros i see with the triumph id want in a diff rifle is
1 accuracy
2 easy to clean i loved the removable breech plug and the speed breech. Made cleaning between rounds
3 durability it held up like a champ.
4 209 primars

Special fly by wire controlable sabots. COME ON THEY HAD EM ON GI JOE LOL
Old 10-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

If I was looking for another break action muzzleloader, I'd seriously consider the Redemption.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Who makes it
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

http://lhrsportingarms.com
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 main hunting rifle other than my side locks, I have had many others. The ones I have kept are my Triumph and an Endeavor Encore and an Endeavor Encore Stock and action I put a Berger 45 1-28 28 inch barrel on.
My opinion: The Triumph is the best dedicated muzzle loader for me, I have a .270 and a .223 barrels for the Encores but don't use them much. I do a lot of my hunting with a bow, when I take a gun it is usually either the Triumph the 45 encore or the 54 side lock. Dollar for value the Triumph has it all over the encore unless you do need the capability of switching to a cartridge gun for some things.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i haven't bought one yet but i'm going to try one of those knight mountianeer thumbhole version i just haven't decided on what caliber yet? all american made!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

my cva is about as good a rifle as i could ask for. i would definitely recommend them
Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could also step out of the "normal" box and try the new Remington 700 Ultimate muzzleloader.

Reports are starting to show up now by seasoned shooters. However they are changing up from the recommended loads, actually more the bullets. It appears that the RU is shooting best with heavy charges of BH209 and Parker BE bullets. One shooter is getting less than MOA at 300yds, with another just starting to shoot his with all bullets (BE) touching at 100yds. This rifle would deserve a quality and higher power variable IMO.

Nothing wrong with the Encore platform rifles, I've owned a bunch of them. Easiest frame to modify of any muzzleloader and cheap. If you want a 2# trigger, just change the spring. The Triumph is a fine rifle also.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just get another Triumph. No surprises that way.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

There are numerous new models of muzzleloaders on the market. 99% of them out to 100 yards will do a good job for you. With some good optics you can push that envelope even further as some of our members have demonstrated. I've never shot a Triumph but I have read a lot of good things about them. It would not be a bad choice. But you have to look at... how many days a year are you going to hunt with the rifle, what do you expect for shots, and last... how much do you want to spend.

For instance, I purchased a CVA Optima for around $209.00 new. It will get any hunting job done out to 100 even further yards. And it did not break the bank. I consider it a quality rifle. Are there better rifles? Sure. How much you want to spend. If the Triumph appeals to you, then that would be a great rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.