Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

butter or not?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default butter or not?

relatively new to the black powder thing and after reading numerous ideas on cleaning and buttering or fouling i am a little confused to say the least. seems like there are people all over the place on this. this weekend i tried hot soapy water cleaning then butter the barrel and went to the range. first shot was low compared to the last time out. i dry patched between each shot and the POI raised to a point. probably 3-4 inches difference between 1 & 5. horizontal stayed very consistent. what's your thoughts?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are talking about Bore Butter from TC it works ok as a patch lube I personally do not care for it in an inline.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I do not know what powder you are shooting but It doesn't make any difference, for black powder subs besides BH 209 use the appropriate solvent and lube. For BH 209 use solvent and lubes like Slip 2000 gun lube and hope's elite gun cleaner.
What you do on the range is use 1 solvent patch and patch the bore both sides, then dry patch the bore and save the patch. Then take a lubed patch to the bore, Then the patch you saved turn it over and dry patch the bore, save this patch and use it for your solvent patch after your next shot.
Load and shoot, do this between every shot. When you get home clean your gun with the same chemicals you used on the range, lube the gun and put it up. The next time you get your gun out to go to the range put one dry patch down the barrel. At the range you will not see any fliers on the first shot. Your groups should be smaller also.

Without going into it a lot, FORGET the bore butter!

Use solvents and lubes that will not conflict with black powder subs. Slip 2000 gun lube will not react with black powder fouling or modern powder fouling.

Last edited by d.winsor; 10-15-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
relatively new to the black powder thing and after reading numerous ideas on cleaning and buttering or fouling i am a little confused to say the least. seems like there are people all over the place on this. this weekend i tried hot soapy water cleaning then butter the barrel and went to the range. first shot was low compared to the last time out. i dry patched between each shot and the POI raised to a point. probably 3-4 inches difference between 1 & 5. horizontal stayed very consistent. what's your thoughts?
kansas,

From what I gather from your earlier thread, you're shooting an inline ML...correct?? If so, clean it with any good product that will remove the fouling, send some dry patches through and then apply any good rust preventative oil or spray afterward. Prior to a shooting session, run a patch saturated with alcohol through the bore to remove any oil residue and then a dry patch or two and go shoot.

And... before we get into the whole bore butter thing for the umpteenth time, I'll definitely agree with Lemoyne that it's a good patch lube but NOT a rust preventative. There are many, many other good products available to put your barrel to sleep with after a good thorough cleaning.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 10-15-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

I like butter on toast and not on my muzzy.

I use to use it, the guy behind the counter sold it to my wife when she bought my first inline for me for Christmas. Now I know better and will never use it again to protect or condition my bore.

Many other good products out there to use instead.

It is confusing to read reviews of bore butter online. Most of the experienced modern inline muzzleloader shooters don't use it.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once bought a T/C Hawken from a friend that used bore butter. When I removed the bore butter the bore was rusted under it, rusted bad. I ended up trashing the barrel and selling the rest of the gun. Do not trust bore butter to protect against rust. I only have stainless barrel inlines and keep them clean and oiled after shooting. I have a blued barrel Hawken that I clean after shooting and put a light coat of oil on the bore. As the man said, forget bore butter.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

First thing I personally would do is boil out that barrel and get that bore butter out of the barrel. I know Thompson Center pushes the product to protect their rifles. But they also sell it. I used it. I also learned that it is not the best thing to use. Take the barrel outside and pour boiling water through it until you're sure every trace of it is out of the bore. Even take a brush and scrub the bore a little with solvent after you boil it. Then apply a quality gun oil to the bore to protect it. This idea of seasoning a barrel might have been good back when metal was not what it is today, but with the new modern steel the barrels are made out of... bore butter is not needed.

Before you shoot after the removal... run an alcohol patch through the barrel to remove the oil out of the bore. Then a couple dry patches. Then go shoot.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
kansas,

From what I gather from your earlier thread, you're shooting an inline ML...correct?? If so, clean it with any good product that will remove the fouling, send some dry patches through and then apply any good rust preventative oil or spray afterward. Prior to a shooting session, run a patch saturated with alcohol through the bore to remove any oil residue and then a dry patch or two and go shoot.

And... before we get into the whole bore butter thing for the umpteenth time, I'll definitely agree with Lemoyne that it's a good patch lube but NOT a rust preventative. There are many, many other good products available to put your barrel to sleep with after a good thorough cleaning.

BPS
It's not even a good patch lube if you hunt in cold weather. It get's hard as a rock in cold weather. Even TC admits to that now.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chunk the bore butter. Yep, i know that TC hypes the stuff for "seasoning" the barrel. A gun barrel is not a cast iron frying pan and it will not "season". The barrel can rust under the bore butter; i've seen cases of that.