Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis

Old 10-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Remington Genesis

Hey fellas I just purchased one of these Muzzleloaders. I got it off a older guy who bought it brand new. One of the main reasons why I bought it was because it was never fired and its in perfect condition and in the original box!! Never hunted with a MZ before so im excited to shoot this thing. Have any you guys ever shot or own this gun? Any recommendations on Bullets, powder/pellets??. It doesn't have a scope only rifle sights but I plan on putting one on. appreciate any input
Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I own a Genesis with a stainless steel barrel. And it is a good shooter. I hate to ever tell someone to get pellets because I always feel I can do the same with loose powder. But the best group I ever shot in my life was with my Genesis and 2 pyrodex RS pellets

This picture was me trying black powder in the rifle. It did well.

This was me trying some all solid lead Keith Nose bullets. These also shot great. I do have a Nikon Omega scope on the rifle. I was shooting off a rest. And was swabbing between each shot.

My Genesis is a very good rifle. But when you clean it and you take the barrel off the receiver, be sure to pay attention to the inside of the receiver lock up area of the barrel. Take some Q tips and scrub all the square corners.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info CAYUGAD..While researching the gun I read that rem. only made the gun from 2006-2008, I wonder what the deal on that was??
Old 10-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Remington put their name on it. The rifle is very similar to the Traditions Yukon. I think what happened is the drop block and break open rifles took over the market by storm. And the cam lock like the Genesis just did not make the interest. That has nothing to do with their quality. Mine is a great shooter. I want to test it with some 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwaves at long range. I think it will shoot them real good as my rifle is not fussy.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

When you need parts like a breech plug, order the Yukon breech plug from Traditions. Also if you have a problem with the rifle, call Traditions. Keep the rifle clean and it works just fine.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Genesis also. It shoots Hornady FPB 300 gr over 100 gr loose Pyrodex really well. I've shot a few deer with it from say 30 yds to just over 100, and this combination performs very well.

My plan is to try BH209 when the Pyrodex runs out. I don't know if the plug it has will work with BH209, does anyone else know? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one as well and I call it my "boring muzzleloader" because it's so comfortable to shoot, clean and will shoot everything except slip fit conicals well.

Here is a group I shot out of it after it had sit for 2 years without being touched.

I've shot XTPs (from .400 200g to .452 300g) Deep Curls, Barnes, Shockwaves ect. Anything out of a sabot will shoot well out of mine. I only shoot Blackhorn out if now but it shoots 777 just as well.

Good luck with the new gun and let us know if you have any further questions.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate the info guys, im hoping to get out in a few weeks..Should I go with a shotgun type scope or a rifle scope?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I like a scope with at least 3-3/4 inches of eye relief. Shotgun scopes work fine, but so do rifle scopes. If your shots are under 150 yards a 2-7x32mm Nikon PRO Staff works great.