Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Disc Extreme >

Knight Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc Extreme

Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Knight Disc Extreme

Hey guys. That time of year again!

I see Cabela's Canada has the Disc Extreme with the straight CarbonKnight stock on sale for $399.00, Regular $549.00. Looks like good value. Have yet to shoot a Knight muzzleloader, but have been eyeing one for a while.

I know there are a few Knight owners on here. Would I be able to shoot BH209 out of the Extreme? Or better to stay with other subs?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Hey guys. That time of year again!

I see Cabela's Canada has the Disc Extreme with the straight CarbonKnight stock on sale for $399.00, Regular $549.00. Looks like good value. Have yet to shoot a Knight muzzleloader, but have been eyeing one for a while.

I know there are a few Knight owners on here. Would I be able to shoot BH209 out of the Extreme? Or better to stay with other subs?
No problem shooting BH from the new Knight rifles if you get the NFPJ breech plug. Even the plastic jacket BP (FPJ) will but it is dirty and the NFPJ is much more reliable.

That is not a bad buy at all either...
Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Good price and very good rifle. I have 3(Disc Elite,LRH and Master Hunter), all of which have been converted to the bare primer breech plug. All are very accurate. If your gun doesn't come with an adjustable trigger invest in one. Knight should have them. All mine are set at 2 1/2 lbs. I would use nothing but BH 209. It cleans up with Hoppe's etc and leaves no crud ring to have to swab out between shots. My current hunting load for south Texas Whitetails or Feral hogs is 110 gr, by VOLUME, of BH209, a Federal 209A primer, and a Hornady 300 gr SST with their EZ Load Sabot or a Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot. I also use TC's 300 gr Shock Wave(Yellow tip) with the same sabots. The bullets are identical, just different color sabots. TC also offers a bonded 300 gr. Shock Wave(blue tip) which I use for larger animals. I'm still working on that load to decide on the best sabot. Two things you need to do to avoid hang fires etc. Use heavy, consistent pressure on the ramrod when seating the bullet and use a proper size drill bit to clean out carbon build up in the flame channel in the breech plug every 25 shots. Hand turn it, no power drill. Enjoy.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Spike

399.00 is a steal and a great gun. I have several Disc my gun likes 90 grains of BlackHorn with a 250 Blood line and a black crushrib.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Typical Buck

As others have mentioned, the Disc Extreme is a quality gun.

After shooting a wide variety of MZs over the years, I'm fond of Knight Disc Series. Yes, the quality and accuracy is there but the one thing not often mentioned is the ability to break down the entire rifle and bolt system for cleaning.

It does take a little longer to clean but you know it's clean and safely stored.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Extreme is a really nice rifle but i would get a sample of Black Crushribs before buying any. They were way too loose in mine especially when combined with a .451 bullet such as some Barnes, Parkers or Scorpion PTs.

The HBCR sabot is around .503 with those bullets and a Knight 50cal barrel can run as high as .502 Even a .501 bore would be really loose with that sabot.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree with GM they (crush ribs) are to loose in my Extremes also
Old 10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Seems the consensus is this is great value.

Things to consider. A source for discs and/or the bare primer breech plug in Canada.

Something I must look into.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Found a supplier for the bare primer conversion kit... $72.99
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Deed is done. Placed my the order tonight for the Disc Extreme.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.