Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
That First Shot--Conclusion >

That First Shot--Conclusion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

That First Shot--Conclusion

Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, I'm surprised treatment #3 is not working for you.

But all is not lost. Because your wife has been administering treatment 3 on a regular basis, it is likely that she has become a bit lax in her duties and is not administering the treatment in as vigorous manner as is needed. Proof of this is the fact that you seem to have fairly good recall of events.

This laxity is easily corrected by employing treatment #2 for one night. I assure you (from personal experience) after only one night of treatment 2 the necessary vigor will return to you wife's administering of treatment 3.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sam, I don't have this problem with my flinters, I figured the greased patch cleaned the barrel when you rammed the ball home...You might try changing lubes or patch thickness...
Old 10-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sam, it is extremely unlikely that a fairly tight patch/ball combination would skip over the rifling, even on the cleanest bore. Were that to happen the patch would be pretty much destroyed and the problem easily identified by inspecting the patch after the shot. Have you attempted to recover any of your first shot patches?

In my view, the most likely cause of a clean bore first shot being significantly out of group is residual oil in the bore that is burned off with the first shot. The next time you head to the range try wiping the bore with a very wet patch of Isopropryl alcohol (followed by a dry patch or two) prior to loading the first shot.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Sam, I don't have this problem with my flinters, I figured the greased patch cleaned the barrel when you rammed the ball home...You might try changing lubes or patch thickness...
Yep, your right about the patch cleaning as she goes down. I have tried different patch thickness, but always just used the ox yoke lube.

My solution has just been to fire off a weak charge to dirty the barrel.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
Sam, it is extremely unlikely that a fairly tight patch/ball combination would skip over the rifling, even on the cleanest bore. Were that to happen the patch would be pretty much destroyed and the problem easily identified by inspecting the patch after the shot. Have you attempted to recover any of your first shot patches?

In my view, the most likely cause of a clean bore first shot being significantly out of group is residual oil in the bore that is burned off with the first shot. The next time you head to the range try wiping the bore with a very wet patch of Isopropryl alcohol (followed by a dry patch or two) prior to loading the first shot.
By George, I think you nailed it. That's exactly what's going on.
My shot is burning of the oil and the rest shoot fine.

I wish you would of been around in 1982 and told me that. LOL
I just learned to live with it. It became part of my routine.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Sorry, I thought everyone did like Ron and I do...

The first shot, hold dead center, the second hold a tad to the left and the third a tad to the right!!! This way you don't have to worry about those one holers...
Well.. i need to admit i cannot remember where to aim.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane

Hmm.. i pretty much assumed wife loved me, but she has vetoed the execution of treatment # 2. Have you any other viable suggestions?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry Ron, you're on your own from here.

i pretty much assumed wife loved me
(That beats a tight group any day.)