Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Jeff Hankins Customs does it again >

Jeff Hankins Customs does it again

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jeff Hankins Customs does it again

Old 09-01-2014, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Jeff Hankins Customs does it again

This rifle belongs to a aggregate inline NMLRA national champion. It has a tungsten bushing breach plug and a .458 cut rifled barrel. Im still waiting to find out what brand. Stock is a Knight LRH pillar and bedded

Load was 100gr of BH209 by weight and a smooth sized Parker BE (sabotless)

Im sorry i cant post a direct link to the other forum but its called Dougs and the board is green. If you cant find it just shoot me a PM for the link. He has another nice custom Knight with a Douglas barrel and a custom LRMP system too

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-01-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
This rifle belongs to a aggregate inline NMLRA national champion. It has a tungsten bushing breach plug and a .458 cut rifled barrel. Im still waiting to find out what brand. Stock is a Knight LRH pillar and bedded

Load was 100gr of BH209 by weight and a smooth sized Parker BE (sabotless)

Im sorry i cant post a direct link to the other forum but its called Dougs and the board is green. If you cant find it just shoot me a PM for the link. He has another nice custom Knight with a Douglas barrel and a custom LRMP system too
I am not sure why the pics did not show up for GM54-120 but I think this is what he was trying to show.

And here is more information about the build.

well complete my knight custom build last night. very excited to get scope rings lapeed and fire this unit up . this is not a cheap build but a dream come true for me . built with many knight mountaineer parts and several custom items .. highlight is douglas xx .458 barrel with 1 -22 twist . uses 5/8 x 18 fpj breech plug with bushing install . and custom brass primer holders to replace plastic . talley bases and rings and weaver super slam . will be shooting 500 yd tournament this weekend in friendship , in .. very excited to let r rip .. will be shooting 142 gr blackhorn .060 wool wad and 275 match hunter . and federal 209 a. with large rifle primer optional module on hand. gun has 23.5 in of useable barrel like that part well and parkers fit perfectly with no sizing. BE STILL CREATIONS!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Odd i see this pics in my post. Photobucket was being a pain earlier so i used HNIs hosting option.

The build you posted is the rifle he used to take many titles. This one is brand new.

This is the one you are describing. Its based on a Mountaineer.

He made some SS FPJs for it too that use LRMPs

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-01-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=Gm54-120;4157198]Odd i see this pics in my post. Photobucket was being a pain earlier so i used HNIs hosting option.

The build you posted is the rifle he used to take many titles. This one is brand new.[/QUOTE]

Correct, I figured that it would be built along the same lines though. On his first build and just before Friendship he and I were conversing about parts he needed for the competition. I think we worked it out that Gordy hand carried him the parts he needed to Friendship. He must have gotten the parts because he did alright...
Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neat huh?

FPJ bolt and Bare 209 plug. The SS FPJ is machined to fit the SS breach plug. IIRC he uses the new tungsten bushings being made on Dougs for the smokeless crowd. Then modifies the Knight plug to accept them.

IIRC he said the huge loads of BH209 were eating up vents in under 30 shots. These bushings last a long long time.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Neat huh?

FPJ bolt and Bare 209 plug. The SS FPJ is machined to fit the SS breach plug. IIRC he uses the new tungsten bushings being made on Dougs for the smokeless crowd. Then modifies the Knight plug to accept them.

IIRC he said the huge loads of BH209 were eating up vents in under 30 shots. These bushings last a long long time.
From my reading the BH load that uses is really not that much more than a lot of guys on here are using in their Knights - whoops wait a minute I forgot whether he said volume or weight - now I have to go look. It says 142 grains of BH and your quote says 100 by weight, so I am ASSUMING the 142 is volume.

And not to touch a nerve or anything but this seems a much better thought than the new Remington Ultimate or even the Ultimate ML.

I also think the twist of the Douglas and the .458 diameter of the bore are key factors. Although with the advent of the new 50 cal. pistols and rifles and then the production of quality bullets by various companies for these new guns - you could possible accomplish the same thing with a GM 50 cal. barrel. I also wonder how long an original Lehigh Vent liner might hold up to the heat of this BH load.

Here is an example of a couple of bullets (for hunting I would like to try). This would be great in a .458 bore - a bit of an over kill for deer but....

And this one in a tight 50 cal. bore... In fact this one shoots great from my Mountaineer... 50x350 grains. Designed for the .500 Cyrus, .500 S&W(Encore rifle), and .50 Beowulf.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Very cool.

I'm trying to understand the ignition system. I looks like the Lehigh NFPJ System but modified somehow to accept large rifle primers. What is holding the LRP? What else am I missing here?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
Very cool.

I'm trying to understand the ignition system. I looks like the Lehigh NFPJ System but modified somehow to accept large rifle primers. What is holding the LRP? What else am I missing here?
He makes an adapter that allows the LRMP (large rifle mag primer) to installed and then dropped into the primer adapter in the bolt.

You can see that he also modifies the Primer Adapter to accommodate his LRMP Adapter

Here are some adapters built by PR bullet in Canada...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-01-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hankins also makes one for Encore conversions based on a 45/70 shell casing but its a machined piece. Not the actual 45/70 case cut down. He built two of them for Bob Parker recently.

His other one for Rem700s is kind of unique too. Its based on a .473 case head.

He sure builds some pretty rifles and they are shooters too.

DO NOT USE THIS LOAD DATA IN ANY OTHER PLATFORM.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Those sure are nice rifles. Makes the ultimate look like a daisy....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.