Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

how long

Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt inlines in Southern Michigan, so weather really changes. I do my load routine then the gun stays loaded until end of season or a dead deer. If the weather was freezing during the hunt, I simply put the gun in its case and lock it in the unheated garage. I have had failures when I bring the gun inside do to condensation. I always pull the primers and keep them away from the gun, just in case.

Personally, I would rather fire a load and clean the gun, rather then dump a load. However, I like to shoot and don't mind cleaning.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mine stays loaded on a clean bore until the end of the season or I shoot at game, whichever comes first - with one exception. If I've been walking with it in the rain it gets shot at the end of the hunt, cleaned, dried, and reloaded. It stays in the truck between hunts.

I always flag a loaded gun so others will know it's loaded in the event I get an unexpected call to make a hunt in the happy hunting grounds.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to bring your gun indoors In the winter after a hunt, take a shot primer, use a baggie and put your primer in it so you will use just one layer of plastic. Put the primer in the plastic into your Breech plug. Cut off the excess plastic, that seals the breech. Now Close your gun.

Take plastic wrap or a plastic baggie and put it over your muzzle Then wind a rubber band tightly around the barrel and plastic. Your barrel is now sealed.

Do this outside where it is cold. The humidity is Lower outside than in your house, when you take the gun into your house the barrel will slowly warm, decreasing the humidity level even more than it was outside due to properties of air and water and temperature change. Now you will not ever have to worry about condensation or moisture fouling your barrel. started doing this with traditional guns in 1984 and now Break action guns. I have never had a failure to fire using this procedure, regardless of how cold it was outside or how warm it was inside.

I like to leave the seals on the barrel until I get to where I am going to hunt, gives the gun time to cool down again. Though I have many times pulled off the plastic when I get up in the morning. It is good for hunting in the rain also, I have never tried it but I have been told I could shoot right thru the plastic, if I had to, with no loss of accuracy.

Last edited by d.winsor; 08-14-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Spike

I have left mine loaded for up to five days with T-7 with no problems. I have left it loaded for thirty days with Blackhorn.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

My guns often stay loaded for many months. They always go bang when the're supposed to.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Remington 700 54call loaded evening Nov 14th 2010 with T7 hunted Michigan's fire arm season, week off and the muzzle loader season. rifle stored on screen porch at night. Shot off Jan 3d 2011 just fine.

Had rain snow and temps as high as 55F and as low and negative 3F. I just leave them loaded for the season.

Al
Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Going bang doesn't mean the powder hasn't absorbed some moisture. You'd have to chrono the loads to know for sure.

Just saying.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Going bang doesn't mean the powder hasn't absorbed some moisture. You'd have to chrono the loads to know for sure.

Just saying.
No but, Going bang hitting what you aimed at and where you aimed usually does.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

And if it doesn't? Would you accept 9 out of 10 times it works? 99 out of 100?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would you accept every time? It has for me, and seems it has worked every time for several others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.