Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The FTX 250grain

Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shockwaves and SST'S are the same bullet except for different color tips. I believe yellow and red. Shockwaves make a bonded bullet that is in my opinion better and it has I think a blue tip.

The FTX is a totally different bullet.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard that the .45 Cal FTX Bullets that are fired out of the rifle run somewhere around 2500 fps, Therefore at ML velocities I would think there would be problems with expansion. I would think the SST/ML FTX would be a better selection, Hornady probably designed this bullet for ML velocities. I guess smokeless muzzleloaders could shoot the FTX just fine. This is just my opinion. I shoot the .45 SST/ML FTX 250 grain with 100 grains of BH 209, puts 3 shots in 1 hole at 100 yards using the T/C superglide sabots. Can't wait to try them on deer.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 450 Bushmaster is rated at 2200fps with a 250gr. That is a walk in the park for a very heavy BH209 load or just about any SML load except maybe 5744.
http://www.hornady.com/store/450-Bus...EVERevolution/
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?%20cat=14

According to Hornady a 3 pellet load takes a 250gr SST to a tiny bit more (although i kind of doubt it) http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-...gr-SST-Bullet/

Google is your friend

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-11-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Google is your friend
Google knows more about you than your wife, or even the government.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

After thinking about this for a while I am inclined to believe that most bullets have a velocity range they work best at, and when they have been designed to work in a cartridge gun it may be difficult or even impossible to get them to do the terminal job in the way we expect. Then there are the brass and copper bullets that do a good job over a wider range of velocities. I consider it a doable job if the velocity is within reach, but we must consider the difference in the twist also because that has an effect on what speed they open at. The difference between a twist 1-24 and 1-28 could have an effect but I am not sure it is unreachable. I do know from some research that the arms companies have done, that a faster twist will open a bullet quicker.
One of the problems I have run into before is with the XTP they do a good job at a lower velocity than I prefer for flat shooting, but if you push them too hard, they shell out.