Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FPE at 250 yards.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
mountaineer magic

Default FPE at 250 yards.

What think ye??

Same gun, same bullet, same volume of powder but different type of powder, equals different FPE.
Not hard to believe but the question is what does the data say has more FPE at 250 yards? Triple 7 or Blackhorn 209?

And would it make a difference in choosing which powder to use for long range hunting?? What think Ye?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The distance does not make a difference when comparing velocity achieved by 2 powders. The one that produces the highest velocty at the muzzle will also be faster at 250 yds, all other things being equal.

If BH 209 functions well in your gun, is accurate (or at least as accurate as T7), AND produces significantly higher velocity, then it makes sense to use it. What is a significant amount? That's for you to decide, but even a 100 fps difference will help noticeably at 250 yds. From what I've seen, 100 gr or more of BH 209 really starts to work well with bullets on the heavier side. If you're leaning toward a bullet say around 300 gr. or more, my guess is BH209 will be the way to go. May not make so much difference with a bullet around 200 gr.

I like to sight in so my bullet is no more than 3" high or low of the point of aim, out ot the max distance I intend to shoot. I don't beleive T7 or BH 209 will acheive that with a MPBR of 250. For reference, that about what you get with a 30/06. Not saying hitting reliably at 250 is not doable.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 07-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't care if it's the same gun or two different guns, or the same volume of powder or not. So long as we're talking the same bullet the only way the energy could be different would be that the velocity is different.

So the guessing game is which powder of equal volume charges is going to yield the highest velocity.

I'm guessing that if it's a light weight bullet, Triple Seven wins the velocity and energy race. If it's a heavy weight bullet, Blackhorn wins. Then again, if the bullet fit to the bore is a bit on the loose side Triple Seven will likely win regardless of bullet weight.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Semisane
Don't care if it's the same gun or two different guns, or the same volume of powder or not. So long as we're talking the same bullet the only way the energy could be different would be that the velocity is different.

So the guessing game is which powder of equal volume charges is going to yield the highest velocity.

I'm guessing that if it's a light weight bullet, Triple Seven wins the velocity and energy race. If it's a heavy weight bullet, Blackhorn wins. Then again, if the bullet fit to the bore is a bit on the loose side Triple Seven will likely win regardless of bullet weight.
VERY GOOD . 250 gr bullet, 110 grains of powder and triple 7 wins. But not by enough to matter in my book but it could be interesting to experiment a little and see. After all FPE can be a contributing factor at long range.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

For reference, with at 350 gr FPB, the folks at blackhorn indicate around 1700 fps at the muzzle. That will give over 1000 FPE at 200 yds, probably near 1000 FPE at 250.

If you're shooting a 250 gr bullet, If one shoots more accurately than the other, I'd go with the one that shoots the best. At longer ranges, I value accuracy over a small difference in FPE.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 07-15-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

one reason I seldom concern myself with velocities. I am more concerned with accuracy, reference shot placement.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Numbers are just that. Slap a chrony out there at 250 and send a few over it to find out for sure. If you shoot good enough your chrony will survive.

HA
Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

one reason I seldom concern myself with velocities. I am more concerned with accuracy, reference shot placement.
Bingo!!

A consistently accurate load means everything. Put the bullet in the right place and you will have meat.

Most of my deer and hogs are killed at ranges <75 yards. i usually pass up long shots and sometimes try to sneak a little closer.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
What think ye??

Same gun, same bullet, same volume of powder but different type of powder, equals different FPE.
Not hard to believe but the question is what does the data say has more FPE at 250 yards? Triple 7 or Blackhorn 209?

And would it make a difference in choosing which powder to use for long range hunting?? What think Ye?
You're asking for FOOT POUNDS ENERGY, not velocity (fps) while comparing two very different propellants, with all other things being equal. However, velocity (fps) with all other things equal, is what will increase or decrease the foot pound energy (fpe) at any given range. So the higher the velocity, the more foot pounds energy when using the identical bullet and weight.

BH excels at higher volumes more than T7. BH209 is more energetic and it is also very linear with increased charges relating to barrel pressure and velocities. It is much more predictable.

Your over all question is rather one would work better for long range hunting over the other. If you shoot both at the same velocity, neither provides more FPE than the other with the identical bullet. Which ever propellant you were to shoot at a lower velocity, that bullet would have less fpe. When using heavier or maximum charges, BH will start providing more fps, thus more fpe at long range with the identical bullet.

It takes 200grs volume of triple seven, to give the same velocity that only 136 grs volume of BH209 provides from my Ultimate. So as the volume of each increases, BH starts to excel.

A heavier bullet shot at the same velocity or near the same velocity, will provide you with more fpe than a lighter bullet. An example comparing a 300gr bullet with a 200gr bullet at 250 yards.

300gr @ 2,000fps = 1,238 FPE

200gr @ 2,000fps = 825 FPE