Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

primers & powder?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default primers & powder?

i have virtually no experience with muzzleloading so forgive my stupidity. i have an in line that i have had for about 20 years. i have shot a fair amount of targets from time to time and one deer. i was thinking about switching to powder pellets but in looking at the box it indicated that they should be used with 209 primers. my gun takes the nipple? type primers. do i have any options besides my pyrodex powder?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

i had problems with the pellets igniting with caps, but it might work in your gun
Old 07-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

2fg or 3fg in 777 powder might work for you. What exact rifle and primer are you shooting.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forget the pellets, too expensive and you are handloading, you can typically get better groups with loose powder...

Use FFF Goex if you can, if not RS Pyrodex...
Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM
mountaineer magic

I would stick with loose powder . Goex, triple 7 fff or pyrodex or pyrodex P . I haven't had any problems with any of them with a #11 cap .

Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Use loose powder. Real black Swiss is a good choice. You will get good ignition with # 11 caps, or musket caps.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

kansaswiderack,

Like the other fellas said, loose powder is the way to go, especially with a #11 cap ignition. That and the fact that you can "tweek" your load better with loose powders. It's hard to beat good ol' black powder, especially if you're adamant about cleaning your rifle. You can get away with a little more with the sub powders, but I'm old school and I clean my rifles thoroughly after each shooting session. If a situation arises that I cannot, I at least swab the bore with several patches saturated with a good BP solvent like Butch's Bore Shine for black powder or Muzzleloader Originals from TOW (it's the old Ox Yoke DAM solvent) and then wipe the bore dry and wipe all powder residue from the exterior. That will keep corrosion at bay for a short while until I can do a flush, usually the next morning. I NEVER let my guns stand longer than 24 hrs. after a preliminary wipe down before doing a thorough cleaning.

BPS
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another nod for loose powder.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for all the in put. i thought the pellets would be more convenient but i will be staying with the loose.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Loose powder

I agree , I get better accuracy with loose powder, I use 209 caps. Either way I think you get a more uniform powder burn with the loose than pellets.