Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting - In Idaho Falls >

Shooting - In Idaho Falls

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting - In Idaho Falls

Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting - In Idaho Falls

Something I have never done before... Ross Gun and Coin was sponsoring a 'Range Day @ Skyline Gun Club'. This is an annual event in which Ross invites manufactures to bring their guns to the range and allow the general public to come in and shoot the different weapons on display.

The only muzzleloader manufacture there was Knight and I was asked if I wanted to help man the area. It was a 600 mile drive for me to get there, but man I am glad that I did. I got to meet a couple of people from Knight that I knew by name but have never met in person. Even Robby of Rok Slide stopped by and worked out a couple of the rifles.

Knight had brought along a Little Horn, a Western Edition Knight Ultra Lite, plus we had a Mountaineer set up with a Western kit and another Ultra Lite set up as regular scope modern muzzleloader. The rifles were on display and available for the public to shoot. They were able to choose the rifle they might like to shoot. The booth personnel would talk a bit about the rifles and the shooters experience. It seems to me that we had many more NEW ML shooters than we did experienced shooters. With the new shooters we would load the rifle the first time for them, but along the way we would explain what we were doing and the purpose of what we were doing. Often most shooters would choose to shoot a second round and then we would let the shooter work their way through the loading process. I was really surprised and even more happy about the experience these folks were getting and the sense of accomplishment and thrill they felt after they shot and busted the birds at the other end.

I really felt there was a lot myths about ML and ML shooting put aside at this shoot. With the Little Horn even the young kids were able to get into the feeling of shooting a ML.

As a note of interest I was surprised by the number of people that chose to shoot the Mountaineer Western Edition basically because it had a thumbhole stock. Their reason... I have never shot a thumbhole before and wanted to see what it felt like. I believe most really felt comfortable with the thumbhole configuration.

Here is a collection of pictures that show some of the things we were able to do. I really wanted to get a lot more pictures, but with the number of people participating, I really never had time to get the camera out to take pictures - so I only have a limited few taken by others in the booth.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a fun day. The falls looked really neat.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Sounds like a fun day. The falls looked really neat.
Can you imagine in the old days.... salmon jumping up over them to get upstream and the bear that might be there on the rocks waiting for them. I am sure the Shoshoni got a lot of meals there also.

Here is another pic...

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-03-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

That would have been a sight to see!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader, looks like ya'll had a great time shooting the Knight rifles. Also, my hats off to all of you that helped those that have never shot a muzzle loader! A great opportunity to introduce folks to the world of muzzle loading!!!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks like a great way to spend a day, plus you got to meet a lot of interesting people. That is a win win.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I would have known, It would have been great to see you.
I will add that Salmon never made it to Idaho Falls. Shoshone Falls is a natural barrier in the way of up stream travel. Shoshone falls is a couple hundred feet tall. Ron
Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
I wish I would have known, It would have been great to see you.
I will add that Salmon never made it to Idaho Falls. Shoshone Falls is a natural barrier in the way of up stream travel. Shoshone falls is a couple hundred feet tall. Ron
You are right I forgot about Shoshone Falls...

There is always next year - I hope I am able to make it back...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader i wish id known that you and the knight boys were there.i would of liked to meet you .hope you do it next year ill be there!!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by deepcreek
sabotloader i wish id known that you and the knight boys were there.i would of liked to meet you .hope you do it next year ill be there!!
I will be there unless something related to really old age catches up with me.

Might check this site out it is based out of Idaho Falls

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/forum...-Muzzleloader&