Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxiball BC?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Spike

What's your issue with No Excuse lube?

Recently I've been working with .50 460 No Excuses and Bullshops. It seems like the Bullshop lube plays better with BH209, but will need to shoot in colder weather to confirm. In cooler weather, No Excuses seemed to form a goo on the breech plug with BH209. Bullshop with their new lube seemed to keep things dry with normal foul, but this was in warmer weather.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm shooting BP. Which is the powder the NoExcuses is suppose to work with. I need to swab between every shot, or i'll never get the 2nd shot loaded.

As much as i've ragged on bore butter over the years. I can load 10 maxi's with no swabbing, and they fit tighter than the NoExcuses.

When hunting for bear I would hope I don't need to load a 2nd shot fast, but i'd like the option just in case.

Maybe some others can load more than one No Excuses without swabbing, but that doesn't help me. I can't in my gun.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Spike

Pete have you tried triple seven with the No Excuses? I get a slight crud ring but not enough to prevent loading a second shot.
When I load "though it" it does not seem to affect accuracy.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer BP in sidelocks. I'm sure T7 would help, but then I wouldn't get reliable ignition like BP.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Muley,

Are you allowed to bait Bears like they do in Ca-na-da EH?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 05-14-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

No bait, or hounds.

On the ground face to face stalking.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No bait, or hounds.
That's the way it is in PA and that's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. Although the "Mainah's" I've talked to said it's pretty tough to hunt them up there without bait or dogs. We're allowed to put on drives for bears here in PA much the same as we are for deer and that's how most of our bears are taken each year. Good luck taking one with your ML. I'm certain the 370gr. Maxi will do the job...you just need to do yours. I hope your season is successful.

BPS
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The good part is the season is the whole month of Sept. So, I have lots of time to get it done.

I like to hunt the high country timber. My plan is to scout all summer for huckleberry bushes. They grow up at 11,000ft where I like to be.

I'll see if I can't still hunt into the berry bushes areas, and catch one feeding. Should be interesting, and a bit unnerving for an old man alone in the timber with one shot.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope we don't have to start referring to you as "Hatchet Muley" (Hatchet Jack)...LOL!! I think Semi posted a picture of him awhile back....

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 05-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Butter Knife Muley?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.