Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
40 cal 260 gr 45 cal dead center >

40 cal 260 gr 45 cal dead center

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

40 cal 260 gr 45 cal dead center

Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default 40 cal 260 gr 45 cal dead center

Guys,
I purchased a few of the 260 grain 40 cal bullets with a 45 cal sabot from Precision Rifle. They are called dead center.
They seem to have been around awhile but I was happy to just try something other than a 200 grain bullet in a 45 cal muzzleloader.
Anyone here have any experience on shooting these. I have my doubts about a complete pass thru because they are solid lead???
Probably gonna shoot them with my Encore Pro Hunter with blackhorn powder
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
daddus
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried the Dead Center bullets in my .45, but they were the .357 caliber, 195 grain version. They shot really well, but I never used them on deer - they were just a little too expensive for my tastes.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Dead Centers - the 260 grainers especially. If you're looking for a pass-thru every time though, I'm not sure it is the best bullet due to the soft lead construction. I seem to remember another member here using the DC's a long time ago- he commented that they were very accurate and devastating on deer, but that he did not always get a pass-thru, depending on the angle and range.

If you shoot a .45 and want a pass-thru, consider trying the 200 grain Shockwaves. The only one I've recovered from a deer was on a frontal shot - the deer was hit in front of the front shoulder and the bullet penetrated lengthwise through the deer - recovered in the rear ham. Over 2 feet of penetration.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 40-260gr is gunna push the limit of a 1-28 twist. Ive shot the 40-240gr QT with 110-115gr BH209 and IMO it was on the edge of stability. It needed more speed or a faster twist.

Try some in the 230gr range unless you have a 1-20 or 1-22 twist. That is still a nice increase in SD/BC over a 200gr bullet. They are fairly soft lead
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot a lot of Deer and Russian boar with the 260grn DeadCenter in the 1/24 twist Savage. I think they are the best lead bullet for a Muzzleloader you can buy. I've watched lots of Hogs shot with big heavy conicals and the results were terrible. The Hogs shot with DeadCenters were fast clean kills.