Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Change of Pace @ Dinger's Farm >

Change of Pace @ Dinger's Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Change of Pace @ Dinger's Farm

Old 03-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Change of Pace @ Dinger's Farm

It was a great day here - I really needed to go shoot something... Long-Shot and I have been talking about shooting PRB's at some of the local Rondy events in the area so I decided I would take one of the Renegades that I use for shooting PRB's and head out to the Dinger farm.

I really was not planning on shooting all that much but when I got to the farm there were unbroken birds all over the place on the hillside. So I just walked out into the field and looked for unbroken birds, set them up where I found them. According to the range finder the birds near the crest were 80-82 yards out and the closet bird was about 25 yards. The majority of the birds were in in the 25-35 yard area. When I got back to the truck and looked the hillside over there were a lot of available birds! The challenge was on...

The birds from 50 yards in were really not much of a challenge, they broke rather easily. The birds out there at 80+ were much more of a challenge. When looking through the peep and across the fiber optic front sight they are darn small.

The rifle... just a regular TC Renegade 50 cal. 1-48 twist.

This is a collection of pictures taken during the shooting

Long-Shot - you should have come down and help break birds with that 54 of yours!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's cool!!... Have you fellas ever considered putting some of the mini-clays out at those distances and having a try at them?

BPS
Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some good shooting. My New Englander has 1/48" twist: It also shoots patched round balls well.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like fun. I haven't made any smoke since I dropped that big old doe back about the first week in Jan. I'm about to go into withdrawl.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

excellent rifle and nice shooting.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
That's cool!!... Have you fellas ever considered putting some of the mini-clays out at those distances and having a try at them?

BPS
Shoot BP! the mini clay is just over 2" in diameter - I have a hard enough time with a 4" bird and open sights at the longer ranges.

With a scope it certainly would be doable and of course close ranges - maybe to 50 yards. Member my eyes are old really old!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by falcon
That is some good shooting. My New Englander has 1/48" twist: It also shoots patched round balls well.
I have never had a New Englander, my first side hammer was a Lyman Trade Rifle - then 3-4 TC Hawkens, but when I got my first Renegade - I really like them... Traded of the Lyman and the Hawkens and no have several (way to many according to one member of this family) Renegades - but each has a specific job! They are unionized!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Looks like fun. I haven't made any smoke since I dropped that big old doe back about the first week in Jan. I'm about to go into withdrawl.
You need to go shoot - you a refreshed outlook on life! it is good for the soul!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
excellent rifle and nice shooting.
Dave I have never actually hunted with a PRB and the load I am shooting was developed for Rondy shooting. 60 grains of T7-3f seems pretty skimpy but sure works for Rondy shoots. But, what about hunting? I have a couple of reasons for the 60/70 grain area, 1. do not want to burn up the patch with the heat created by T7 2. I am always worried about shooting a RRB to fast for a 1-48 twist and loose accuracy. 3. the 60/70 grain load is really accurate.

This is a target with velocities - this might help with my question...

Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader, I would have no concern using that load of T7 for hunting. Your chronograph results indicate you are getting velocities equal to what I get with a load of 100 grains of GOEX FF under a patched ball. Those velocities will do the job on a deer quite nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.