Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Super 91 ?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Spike

Default White Super 91 ?

I'm trying to nurse a .45 cal Super 91 back to good health as I bought it and looks like it had never been cleaned! Anyway, I'm needing to remove the hammer bolt assembly and sure can't figure it out. I found the instructions online but they sure don't make sense to me. the breach area and plug is very dirty so I doubt I can remove the breach plug without removing the hammer first. I removed the big screw on the left and can remove the rear piece on the threaded rod but that doesn't seem to free up the assembly.
Anyone have any better instruction or know how to do this?
Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

You can call Doc White at (435) 722-2520 or email him at [email protected]

Listed below is his website on how to dismantle the Supe91/M98 rifles.

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/my...tionManual.htm

Also you may want to try and inset the breech plug area into a pot of boiled water for about 3-5 minutes and then take your wrench to try to remove the breech plug. This method had worked on many guys with your situation.

Last edited by edmehlig; 03-03-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Put the cocking knob back on and pull the cocking knob back till it stops and rotate it to the safe position. Remove the screw on the left side of the reciever (between the breech opening and the rear of reciever. The whole insert will be free to remove, just pull to the rear. Since the rifle hasn't been cleaned it may take some effort to remove the hammer assembly but it will come out the back of the revciever then you will be able to insert a socket with extension and remove the breech plug.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Spike

I had emailed DOC and it appears the hammer assembly is frozen to the receiver. I have a .50 cal super 91 and the hammer pulls out just fine on it but this one is stuck. Doc suggested putting it in Windex. We'll see if that helps but it sure seems locked in quite tight.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

How did you make out?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Spike

I was able to get the hammer out after soaking in Windex for just a few hours. Then the breach plug was stuck and I used some penetrating oil and it also came out. There is some corrosion in the gun so I've been working on restoring it to shooting condition. Barrel doesn't look too bad. Will probably just buy a new breach plug but it wasn't too bad. I'll just be restoring the gun and selling it as I didn't really need a .45 cal gun but just couldn't stand to see a White get neglected. Spent a lot of time cleaning things up but I'm sure it will shoot just fine when I'm done!