Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
PA going back to patch and ball? >

PA going back to patch and ball?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PA going back to patch and ball?

Old 01-04-2002, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA going back to patch and ball?

I heard that PA is going to outlaw conical and other black powder projectiles and allow only patch and round balls for muzzle loader season. Is this true? This was the case a couple of years ago.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 01-06-2002, 02:08 PM

Default RE: PA going back to patch and ball?

I have heard that as well.
My personal opinion is that they should. We are fortunate enough to have a state that maintains a muzzleloading season as it should be....flintlock, open sights...and tradtionally was roundball for many years.

A roundball is plenty accurate and deadly for pennsylvania game. Let's keep the season historically correct and tradtional. Inlines are fine for states that don't allow high powered rifles......but keep them out of our muzzleloading season. Going back to roundball only will help maintain a great tradition.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2002, 05:17 AM

A roundball worked for me this year. To me it boils down to why I hunt with a smokepole. Is it to just kill or for the thrill?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Patch and ball or conical with the lenghth not to exceed twice the diameter is the way it is in oregon,loose powder and no centerfire primers .Iron or peep sights only . they call it primitive.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

From the mouth of Gary Alt.
Next years early muzzleloader season will be open to ANY type of muzzleloader including in-lines.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

A .50 or larger round ball seems plenty for whitetail out to around 100 yards, but when using them I force myself to take only broadside shots, because of a lack of confidence in the ball's penetrating power. Am I wrong about this??

Larry
Old 02-06-2002, 07:22 PM
XTP

I believe that we(the hunters) only support the anti's arguments when we demand and purchase more modern muzzleloaders.I do not care whether it is a in-line or side lock design..as this really does not have that much influence on ballistics(tests conducted on both types produce identical results),I also believe that using conicals/sabots is conductive to a clean harvest of our quarry.What I would prefer to see is less scopes,Discs,sealed breaches, magnum centrefire primers and perhaps most of all,NO smokeless powder!Muzzleloaders are a primitive weapon and should stay that way .Just my opinion though.......