Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Chpt. #3 Sabotless Shooting >

Chpt. #3 Sabotless Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chpt. #3 Sabotless Shooting

Old 01-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Chpt. #3 Sabotless Shooting

Thursday morning it looked like I was going to get some time to get to shoot, so I grabbed some of the .500x350 gr. Lehigh's and ran them between to files to knurl them. I am still trying to really perfect this process although I continue to think it does not have to be as precise as I thought it might need to be. When I do it - it is a pretty simple operation. I was at first using two mil files for the operation and found that they did not provide the knurl I needed so I have switched to two wood rasps.

After completing the knurling I gatherer up things up and headed to the farm. The purpose of this visit was to clock the velocity of the bullets from my ULite. I attempted this last week but the Chrono battery was dead. That has been fixed.

I set the target at 75 yards and set the chrono 25' ft. off the muzzle. Shooting of the same portable bench and rests that I always do. I began the operation. Again I ended up shooting 15 rounds, that is all the Barnes box that I am using will hold. Same load as last week 120 grains of T7-2f, MMP Sub-base, and W209's.

I shot 8 of the marred gold bullets at the target for velocity collection and the rest at birds placed in the field at various ranges. I had not intended to adjust the scope at all - just leave it set for my normal load, but after the first two shots I could not resist, so I made two scope changes during the shoot.

What I did find, was that I may have done a better job knurling this group. Most all bullets during the velocity test went down with about the same amount of loading pressure, not short starter needed. The lone exception was shot #5 - it did require a short starter and a very firm push on the range rod to seat it. Surprisingly, it stayed in the group and the velocity was right with the rest of the shots. 'I think' this is the value of the MMP Sub-Base - providing a complete seal on the gas behind the bullet.

Here is a composite picture of the shoot with additional information dropped in...

The powder loads were thrown in my trusty old TC brass volume measure and it seems to show a very constant velocity. One of the things I am bad at is waiting... I just load shot after shot.. not really waiting for the barrel to cool. It seemed evident to me as the barrel warmed - velocity would drop slightly.

One thing I did for get was the BH-209... I really wanted to shoot it also with this load - I am sure that it would have given me a velocity increase of 150-200 fps. Not really enough difference to make a huge difference but for some it might be significant.

The last thing I did was to run a ballistics' sheet for the load. I use a 6" PBR when sighting in. That allows me a large range of yardage that the bullet will never be any greater than 3" high/low - through the range. No need to adjust anything in that range.

As it now appears to me, this is a viable hunting bullet and load. I really might have to give it a try.

At this time I think my next test will be to repeat this process using a Mountaineer with the longer barrel and open sights. The Mountaineer I will use is set up with a NECG scope base mounted peep sight. It will be interesting to see how it does and IF there is any effect on velocity...
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thats some of the best consistent velocities i have ever seen out of a muzzleloader. I have never seen the sub bases before, do they seat on the end of the bullet like minature sabots or are they totally below the bullet. That was excellent shooting.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

That's some really consistent shooting SL. Was the shot #1 on the target from a clean barrel? I've always struggled with that first round staying in the ones that follow on the fouled bore. Also some great 200 yd energy left in that combo. Nice work.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

That is very close fps shots less then 10 is very good looks like you have it all good to go for next season. and great report will be good to see the difference with the mountaineer and fps. I wish they made the bases for the 45cal. I think they would sale good.

Last edited by a1smokepole; 01-24-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

A very good report and some good shooting.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow that is some great shooting... should take care of anything you want to hunt.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the bullets you are using are not bloodline bullets? What is the outside diameter of the 52 and 54 cal bloodline bullets if you remove the sabot? 50 cal on either one of them by any chance?

Last edited by txhunter58; 01-24-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, this is the bullet you are talking about?
http://www.lehighbullets.com/proddet...prod=500%2D200

You may have stated it, but since they are built to withstand big rifles, will the hollowpoint open up at muzzleloading velocities?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by deer655
Thats some of the best consistent velocities i have ever seen out of a muzzleloader. I have never seen the sub bases before, do they seat on the end of the bullet like minature sabots or are they totally below the bullet. That was excellent shooting.
I was somewhat surprised one by the velocity of the bullet and also by the consistency, but I developed a method for throwing the powder that I work at very hard. I also trust my volume measure a lot for it being consistent IF I do may part. But then again the weight of the bullet helps with the consistency in that it is heavy enough that a larger discrepancy in volume is needed to see the difference.

The Sub-Base is basically the skirt of the sabot with a dome top... I actually think the dome top is important in accuracy - I can not prove that but I feel it. I have used shot cards and wads in the past and I really feel these come off cleaner, retain more pressure and aid in accuracy because they come off the bullet so easy.

This is a picture of the Sub-Bases...

Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by yeoman
That's some really consistent shooting SL. Was the shot #1 on the target from a clean barrel? I've always struggled with that first round staying in the ones that follow on the fouled bore. Also some great 200 yd energy left in that combo. Nice work.
Shot #1 is the lowest of all the shots... I would like to think the bore oil that I use (Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner) is a part of the decent accuracy I can get with the first shot. I also shoot 3-4 primers through the breech plug and out in the bore. I then dry patch the residue in the bore and load up...

I think this really give me a decent chance with that first shot - but I would be the first to tell you I never shoot a clean barrel hunting, it is always semi clean in that I do run a Windex patch after each shot, not really because of the 'crud ring' but that way I know the barrel is in the same condition from shot to shot. All of my rifles are somewhat more accurate in this condition. If I were shooting the King of Elk - I want a semi-fouled barrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.