Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New vs Old Technology >

New vs Old Technology

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New vs Old Technology

Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New vs Old Technology

Well it wasn't snowing too hard out there this afternoon and it wasn't too cold. So I decided to take my TC Omega and my Lyman Great Plains Hunter .50 cal Caplock out for a dance.

Today's effort was to try out a new bullet and powder for both rifles. The bullet was the .40 cal, 220 gr PR Dead Center. The powder was Black Horn 209.

First up was the GPH. I take my box out to 50 yds and tromp back through butt deep snow. Having heard that BH209 was hard to light I put a bumper charge of 20 gr 2F GOEX followed by 75 gr BH209 and a PR DC.

Three shots down range off my table. First thoughts were this was a very nice load out of the heavy GPH. No felt recoil what so ever. Smoke wasn't too bad with only 20 gr of black down the pipe. It was pretty accurate too.

I wanted to test this bullet in the Omega as well so I didn't push my luck with the GPH. So I put the GPH away and grabbed the new technology.

Same range, same rest. Three shots. The three center high were fired at 50 yds using 100 gr BH209. Thinking I might be able to tighten it up a bit I bumped the load to 110 gr and dropped the scope 14 clicks then moved the target out to 100 yds in the same butt deep snow. I fired 3 more shots and these are the tree top left.

I do like not having to swab between shots. Accuracy in the GPH is good and deserves more testing. In the Omega I will play around a bit more to see if I can't tighten it up some.This rifle has shot MOA in the past so I know it's capable of doing it.

Day 2

Just took the GPH out this morning. Beauty morning, -11'C, calm, sunny.

All targets were shot using the PR Dead Center .40 cal / 220 gr bullet. I had a bit of fogging on my glasses problem this morning but I won't use that as an excuse......just sayin'.

I bumped up the charge from 75 gr BH209 to 80 gr and fired this target. Not sure what caused the flyer but I do suspect driver error.

Just for poops and giggles I bumped it again to 90 gr and fired. Point of Impact changed quite a bit with this bump. No indications of this load being too hot. The hammer remained right on top of the nipple with no blow back.

Then I thought I would kick it Old School and filled the pipe with some good old 2F GOEX @ 100 gr.

I must say shooting the BH209 sure makes a range day much more pleasant without all the mess of black powder. Clean up is pretty slick in the in-line.

Finally, just because it is a new year I thought I'd throw in a 3 Shot Challenge target.

More play time coming up!!!

HA
Old 01-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some very good off hand shooting there. And it looks like have a good load for the GPH. I will have to try some of the projectiles you mentioned. But I am not going to duplex. Mine is a flintlock so I will stay old school.

I thought about shooting today until I spent the morning wading through waist deep snow in places, with a roof rake, pulling near 40" of snow off the garage roof. After doing the garage and part of the work shop, I was so tuckered out I went inside. I had enough playing in the snow.

Besides, like you, I would have had to put snow shoes on and walk a target out into the back yard, then back, then shoot and use a scope to check the targets. Its been a tough winter so far and more Arctic Polar Vortex Weather is headed our way. No offense but you can keep that bitter cold weather up there with you. So I wanted to get the roofs somewhat cleaned off. I still have the wood shed to do and finish the shop roof.

But looking at that new flintlock of mine, I think I have to shoot it. Maybe tomorrow. We will see what the weather does.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Polar Vortex???? Friggen weathermen trying to sound sophisticated again. Rank that right up there with windchill. Now 4 feet of snow there ain't no bullcrap made up words for that! It just is!!!

I prefer BP too but I just had to get a couple of cans of this new fangled powder to give it a whirl. If I stick with the BH it will be strictly for the Omega. So far it trumps T7 with no crud ring to deal with. I think part of the problem is the weight of the bullet. If I remember correctly it preferred 300-360 gr bullets. I can't quite recall because I've been shooting flinters most of the time. The BH in the GPH is a "just to see" sort of thing I can't see me duplexing either. LOL

HA
Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice report but at -11*C (12*F) you won't catch me out there shooting. I'm getting too old for that nonsense! I'll wait until its a bit warmer out or else go down to LA and visit our dear friend Semisane. I believe that would be an interesting meeting. We can shoot a bunch of BP and probably a lot of BS too!
I know you said the BH209 in the GPH was "just to see" and I agree. I don't see it very practical to be using a duplex load in the field. And I don't think a critter is going to care either way what propellant you used. Additionally, your accuracy wasn't any better using the duplex over the straight BP. I think your GPH would probably shoot better with a heavier/longer bullet anyway with its 1:32 twist.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-19-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice report but at -11*C (12*F) you won't catch me out there shooting. I'm getting too old for that nonsense! I'll wait until its a bit warmer out or else go down to LA and visit our dear friend Semisane. I believe that would be an interesting meeting. We can shoot a bunch of BP and probably a lot of BS too!
I know you said the BH209 in the GPH was "just to see" and I agree. I don't see it very practical to be using a duplex load in the field. And I don't think a critter is going to care either way what propellant you used. Additionally, your accuracy wasn't any better using the duplex over the straight BP. I think your GPH would probably shoot better with a heavier/longer bullet anyway with its 1:32 twist.
-11 C when the Sun is out and no wind is not that bad at all. Just a Kenora Dinner Jacket and a ball cap and you're good to go.

I agree with you on heavier bullets both for the Omega and the GPH and will be trying some next time out. The great thing about shooting in the winter is your barrels never get hot.

HA