Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it. >

LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LYMAN GPR STOCK! I hate it.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I own two of them. The first range trip was an eye opener. It was summer time, so T shirts were the dress of the day. And I tried to shoulder it like any normal rifle. Well I felt the recoil. But I found slipping it just off the main shoulder joint to the upper arm, it balanced out the rifle and recoil was almost no existent. Of course, I was not shooting heavy loads at the time.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice jammies.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Nice jammies.

Aren't you glad I put them on?????
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

nchawkeye,

Maybe it's me or one of those weird tricks your mind plays on you at times, but the rifle you're holding in the "selfie" clearly looks like a left hand rifle. In your next post when you show the rifle by itself, it is definitely a right hand rifle...???? Anyone else see it that way?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first pic is taken in a mirror...
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
The first pic is taken in a mirror...
DUUUHHH!!...You'd think I would have thought of that. Maybe senility is setting in after all!

BPS
Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Eeeeasy now rafsob...you'll be accused of being negative and called a grumpy old man! But don't fret it because THIS grumpy old man totally agrees with you!

BPS
Sorry Coach, I'll do better next time!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Well, I have shot this rifle since 1977, never have come close to dislocating my arm!!!
This is the best I could do for a picture, talk about a selfie!!!

This is where I put the butt plate when shooting...

Hey Hawkeye, nice jammies!!!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by mounting man
Why did i buy it? Well,because of the rep of Lyman BP guns and i have a couple of the Deerstalkers. I wanted a longer barreled gun. I never figured the stock would and issue. If i were alot younger i would cope with it!
Hey pal, not trying to bust your… These stock designs are different, but if mounted in a proper firing position they do shoot comfortably. I have a GPR flinter and love it. But I do admit, I have to remember to mount it in the proper way. They do take some time getting used to and I do prefer the shotgun buttstock myself. They come up faster and more comfortably.

Last edited by rafsob; 01-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

I can see what you mean, my shoulder just barely wedges in. I would like to add that though I am a renegade fan it takes a whole lot more working with patch, powder and ball to get a super accurate load in one with that 1-48 compromise twist and shallow rifling. To get them to shoot under an inch they aren't easy to load anymore with a tight ball and patch.
It's harder to find green mountain barrels these days in a slow twist. You can make one for about $250 (not including dove tail jigs) or have one made off a barrel blank for about $350 or send a 50 cal to Bobby Hoyt and have him rebore it to 54, 58 or 62 with a slow twist for $100. Personally I wouldn't worry about resale though. They are fine rifles. Right now you don't like it so it has no value besides how much it's worth. If you do like it then that might change and you may not want to get rid of it.