Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ohio Muzzleloader Season >

Ohio Muzzleloader Season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ohio Muzzleloader Season

Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ohio Muzzleloader Season

The Temps I hunted in were probably the coldest I have ever hunted in. Saturday was nice but rain came in the evening. Then I believe the temps started to drop around midnight Saturday night. Sunday morning was very cold and stayed cold threw Tuesday when we left.

The Hunting was strange in my opinion. The Deer were not moving in the mornings. It seemed like all the action was the evenings for me. That was until Monday morning. At 9:30AM the wind chill was 27 below. And trust me it felt like it.

Right below my shack no more then 80 yards two bucks were standing nibbling on some branches. I dropped my right glove and pulled up my 45 Knight Super Disc to look at which buck I wanted to shoot and shot. Sorta reacted a little to fast but after walking up to it I'm glad I shot it. This buck knocked off its left side rack and had a big wound on its neck. It actually looked like it was fighting another buck.

It Was very cold and windy, I don't ever remember gutting a Deer in 27 below zero temps. It was actually a very slow task because I had so many layers of clothes on. We managed to get it done and take to a butcher. It was just to cold to quarter and try doing myself with no heat. Maybe I just didn't wanna freeze and was being lazy. Lol

My camera froze, couldn't get any good pictures.

Last edited by Grouse45; 01-10-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

It was cold for sure. I'm glad I got mine on Saturday while it was a balmy 10 degrees in the morning. Lol. I was dreading the thought of Monday and Tuesday.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on getting a deer. Its never easy to hunt or do much of anything when it is that cold.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work, good late season buck for sure. Lots have already shed in my area (Top of VA).

Man I gotta admit...if its -27, I ain't hunting. I guess I'm a wimp...but I prefer temps ABOVE zero
Old 01-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Spike

Nice Buck!! I am in Northeast Ohio. it was very cold. We do pushes up here so Saturday was cold but I stayed warm walking. Sunday was up to the 20's. It started raining Sunday Night then got to the negatives. I hunted for an hour, but stepped in some water and both of my pant legs were frozen solid. Tuesday was way too cold for me to hunt.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

That deer looks like it committed suicide by hunter.

Congrats man!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Grouse...you toughed it out and were rewarded for it.

BPS
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. Too bad he got all busted up. Maybe he had been hit by a car?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any deer you kill hunting weather like that is a trophy, congratulations
Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats and what to stick it out. Hunting that cold sucks. I've done it a few times and have yet to actually see anything. I read somewhere that when the felt temperature is below -25 deer will bed down in an attempt to conserve energy. Don't know how much truth there is to it but it sure seems like overall the woods seem a lot more quiet.
Again, good job and enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.